About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Statement in Response to the Announcement of PlaneImages.net Shutting Down

This morning, I received an E-mail where I learned that PlaneImages.net, an aviation photography website will be shutting down as of July 15, 2018 due to an unsustainable business model and lack of funding from a venture capitalist. PlaneImages was meant to make plane-spotting and aviation photography, two old, tired hobbies fun and revitalize great photographers by making a home for their work that would otherwise never have been accepted onto screener-based websites and stepping away from catalog data-basing.

There is no hiding that fact in how disappointed I am to hear that such an incredible website is shutting down. PlaneImages was a huge win for underdog photographers such as myself, who don't have the means or resources to make our photos "high-quality," at least according to overly-high standards of elitists from other, screener-based websites. While we can all agree or disagree on what's considered high-quality based on personal preferences, such screener-based standards suppresses creativity, and is an insult to the vast majority of aviation photographers and the incredible work they otherwise produce. PlaneImages encouraged artistic creativity and recognized contribution in our photos, as the site provided the perfect platform to showcase my best work after nothing but negative and insulting experiences with other screener-based aviation photography websites.

The shutdown of PlaneImages.net, once again leaves us underdog photographers in the shadows of those elitist photographers and their screener-based sites with their high, often unattainable standards.

That being said, I wish to express gratitude to the founders of PlaneImages.net, Beau, Jake and Drew, for taking a stab at addressing a plane-spotter's frustrations and delivering a service for the aviation photography underdogs via funding often out of their own pockets and in their own time. I wish them the all the best and hope that one day, they will find the proper and sustainable means to open a website (without the screening!) that showcases aircraft in real-time that will ultimately change the aviation photography/plane-spotter game for the better.

No comments: