About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Virginia Flying!

This morning, I went out for another local flight to practice the ILS 13 approach into Provo, and I was privileged to bring along my friend, Virginia as a passenger. After arriving at the airport, we waited for our plane to arrive back from a flight lesson. Soon, we went out to the plane and I started the pre-flight inspection and walk-around.

Took up N968CT for the flight!

After completing the pre-flight, we hopped in and I eventually the engine started. I taxied us a short ways and stopped on the run-up pad to check the engine and instruments. After verifying that everything was in the green, I taxied over to the runway and held short. While waiting for landing traffic, we took a selfie!

Obligatory selfie before takeoff!
(Photo credit: Virginia Leiter, my lovely passenger!)

We waited for the school's Piper Cherokee to complete their touch-and-go and make their crosswind turn before we got on the runway for takeoff roll and get airborne.

We held short for N7625F.

Once airborne, I turned us to out to the west towards the Fairfield VOR and I contacted Salt Lake Approach. Once in radar contact, I flew the full approach into Provo from the VOR all the way to the final approach fix. Once established and cleared for the approach, we were advised to call up Provo tower, which I did. I requested the option followed by a straight-out departure south to Spanish Fork, which I was cleared to do. I continued the approach and eventually touched down on Runway 13. I made the landing a stop-and-go so we came to a complete stop on the runway. Then, I executed a short-field takeoff and we flew southbound.

As we flew south on the departure end, I overheard a takeoff clearance for a Rockwell Turbo Commander behind us, which was also southbound. I knew the Turbo Commander would be faster so I called up tower and asked if they would like us to side-step off the departure path to the east to make room for the departing traffic. The tower controller appreciated my offer and did request that we side-step over to the east to allow the faster traffic to overtake us. They then approved us to change frequencies, so I switched back to the Spanish Fork CTAF and entered the traffic pattern.

I ended up doing one touch-and-go followed by a full-stop landing after one more circuit around the pattern. After landing roll-out, I taxied us off the runway and taxied back to the ramp and shut the engine down, completing another successful flight with an excited passenger.

No comments: