About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Normandy Flying!

This evening, I took another flight to practice some precision instrument approaches and I was privileged to bring my friend Normandy along as a passenger, and I'm happy to say she had a good time. After arriving at the airport, we headed for the plane and I did the pre-flight and walk-around. I then pulled the plane over to the fuel pumps and added some fuel. Afterwards, we hopped in and I got the engine started. I taxied us a short ways to do the run-ups, then taxied over to the runway and we took off.

Another flight practicing an ILS/Localizer approach in N968CT!

After getting airborne, I turned the plane westbound towards the Fairfield VOR to do the full practice ILS 13 approach for Provo. I also got in contact with Salt Lake Approach and they started tracking us on radar. I flew us towards the Fairfield VOR and started briefing the approach plate, while my passenger Normandy took video with her phone. Once passed the VOR, I made my turn on the DME arc to get established on final approach fix. Salt Lake Approach initially cleared me onto the ILS 13 approach, but quickly cancelled my clearance because of an IFR departure in the opposite direction; winds were favoring Runway 31 and 36 this evening as well. The approach controller vectored me inland and I did a hold over the Lehi/American Fork area until the IFR departure was clear of me. I was then vectored back onto the final approach fix for the ILS 13 approach before being handed off to Provo tower. I called up tower and requested a circle to land for the option. I initially wanted to circle around to 31, but the tower controller had me go to 36 instead due to some VFR traffic working the pattern. I made the approach to 13 and then began the circling to 36 at minimums. I established us on final for 36 and executed a touch-and-go and got back in the air.

By then, tower inquired of my intentions and I requested a departure to the south, which was approved, via right traffic. Once clear of Class D airspace, tower cut us loose and I started monitoring Spanish Fork CTAF again as we flew southbound. With my practice instrument approach out of the way, I invited my passenger Normandy to take the controls with me and get a feel for what it's like to fly the airplane; and she didn't do too bad! Once we were over Santaquin, I made a descending turn until we were 1,000 feet off the ground and facing northbound. I got us set up to circle the Payson LDS Temple and Normandy got to shoot some video. After circling the Temple, we headed back to Spanish Fork and entered the traffic pattern. I set us up for landing on Runway 30, touched down, and rolled out.

After clearing the runway, I concluded the flight by taxiing us back to the ramp and shut the engine down. After securing the airplane, we took a selfie by it, and then we headed home. Normandy had fun, and it was a privilege taking another passenger up!

Selfie after getting back on the ground!
(Photo credit: Normandy Wanberg, my lovely passenger!)

No comments: