About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Pilot Life: Another Morning Flight with My Uncle Alan

My uncle Alan and I went up again this morning for another round of flying instrument approaches. Once again, my uncle served as my safety pilot while I logged some hood time shooting ILS approaches into Provo. Following our arrival at the airport, we went straight for the airplane and I got the pre-flight preparation taken care of.

Once again, we were in N968CT.

After pre-flight, we hopped in, got the engine started and taxied out to Runway 12. After doing run-ups, we got airborne and headed out west towards the Fairfield VOR. The regular approach frequency with Salt Lake was still out of service, but we figured out an alternative frequency to contact for radar services, which we were able to get. Once again, I flew the approach under the foggles while my uncle kept eyes outside the cockpit.

On this flight we were able to shoot two full practice ILS approaches to Runway 13 at Provo; the first ended with a touch-and-go landing while the tower was still closed. On the second run, Provo Tower just opened and Class Delta airspace operations resumed so I requested the option, which ended with a stop-and-go landing followed by a straight-out departure back to Spanish Fork. Upon entering the traffic pattern, I flew the pattern not once, but twice. I did a touch-and-go on Runway 12 and then a full-stop landing after the second lap.

After rolling out and clearing the runway on the second landing at Spanish Fork, we taxied back to the ramp, shut the engine down, secured the airplane, and called it another successful flight. Again, it was fun flying with my uncle!

No comments: