About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Candice Flying!

It's been a while since I last logged two flights in one day. But this was also my first time logging two separate flights in the same airplane! This evening, I took my friend Candice flying around Utah Lake as well as the valley. I ended up pushing the flight back by about an hour because it was so stinkin' hot outside! After letting some time pass, we headed out to the airplane; I had my passenger take cover under some shade while I did the pre-flight, walk-around, and then added fuel to the tanks.

Another flight in N968CT!

Afterwards, we hopped in and I got the engine started. I taxied a short ways to the usual run-up spot, where I did the engine run-ups; because it's hot outside, we kept a close eye on the oil temperature gauge. I also didn't waste time in doing a long run-up either. I then taxied us to the runway where I held short in sequence behind a familiar airplane, the Lancair Legacy Turboprop known as "Turbulence!" We got to see him take off from the runway and saw him make a steep climb out; I couldn't help but compliment him over the radio!

We were second in line for takeoff behind this one-off turbine-powered Lancair Legacy "Turbulence!"

We continued to hold short of the runway to give way to some landing traffic. While we waited, we took a selfie!

Obligatory selfie before takeoff!
(Photo credit: Candice Boren, my lovely passenger!)

After the arriving traffic landed and cleared the runway, I taxied onto the runway and we got airborne. Once off the ground, I made a steady climb over and around the airport in order to not overheat the engine and be nearby in case we needed to land; I was not going to push my engine hard given the how hot it was outside! Eventually, we got up to my desired cruise altitude where it was cooler outside and I was able rest easy regarding engine oil temperature! I then took us out over Utah Lake towards the Fairfield VOR to fly the ILS 13 approach into Provo and attempted to call up Salt Lake Approach. I received no response and it became a concern. While I waited for a response, I tuned into the Provo Airport ATIS to get the weather information and that's when it became clear to me; there was a NOTAM reporting that the frequency I was trying call up approach on was out of service! That's when I decided to abort the approach and just fly over the lake and valley. We also remained at the cruise altitude I've previously chosen to keep the engine cool.

What was supposed to be a lap around Utah Lake in order to shoot approaches turned into just a sight-seeing scenic flight! We flew over Provo Airport above their Class Delta airspace and flew over the city. I then turned us out to the south and invited Candice to take the controls and fly the airplane, which she gladly accepted! That's when she revealed to me that both her parents were pilots; it's no wonder she did so well maintaining altitude and heading while manipulating the controls! We flew south on the east side of the freeway until we passed Payson. I then re-took full control of the airplane and headed back to Spanish Fork. I descended down to pattern altitude and entered the traffic pattern for Runway 30; descending was much easier than climbing out since the engine didn't have to work as hard! I touched us down on Runway 30 and rolled out to the next available taxiway.

After taxiing back to the ramp, I parked the plane and shut the engine down, calling it another successful flight. After the post-flight and securing the airplane, we took one more selfie!

One more selfie after landing!
(Photo credit: Candice Boren)

We drove home afterwards, reflecting on what turned out to be a great flight despite how hot it was outside.

No comments: