About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking Derek and Cassidy Flying!

This evening, I had the privilege of taking my roommate Derek, and his fiancee Cassidy for a brief flight around the valley in the DA40 Diamond Star. This is my first flight in the Diamond Star since getting checked out in it nearly three months ago; since it's a little more expensive to rent by the hour, there's really no point in me flying the DA40 as often as I would like. This was also my first time taking more than a single passenger up for a flight! But with two passengers, a couple who are going to get married within a week pitching in to cover a part of the flight costs, this flight was worth it. I will admit, I was a little nervous about flying the Diamond Star and utilizing its Garmin G1000 package again since I haven't flown it in a while. But thankfully, I gained confidence in flying this four-seater as I conducted the pre-flight and later, a successful stint around the valley.

I was able to take up passengers in the Diamond DA40 Diamond Star (N321PF) for the first time.

Upon arrival at the airport, we headed for the airplane, where I would do my pre-flight inspections. I also took the time to brief my passengers regarding on-board equipment and emergency procedures. After getting all the pre-flight done, all hopped in and I got the engine started. I taxied us a short ways to the run-up pad and conducted engine run-ups. Everything looked and felt good, so I taxied to Runway 30 for takeoff. But first, we had to take a selfie!

Obligatory selfie with Derek Strate and Cassidy Cook before takeoff!
(Photo credit: Derek Strate, my roommate!)

I got the Diamond Star airborne off of Runway 30 and made a left crosswind departure southbound. I flew us towards Payson and Santaquin. Once over Santaquin, I descended us down until we were about 1,000 feet off the ground and circled back to the north to orbit the Payson LDS Temple.

View of Payson and the Payson LDS Temple as we flew overhead.
(Photo credit: Derek Strate)

After circling the Temple, I took us back to the airport and I landed us back on Runway 30 to conclude the flight. After clearing the runway, I taxied us back to the ramp, and shut the engine down, concluding the flight. It was great evening flight and my two passengers thoroughly enjoyed it

No comments: