About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, July 2, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Sammy Flying!

This morning, I had the privilege of taking my friend Sammy flying in the Piper Cherokee. This may be the last time I fly out of Spanish Fork for a while because I've decided to pull up stakes and return home for a few months on an offering/opportunity from my uncle to go time-build and fly with him in his Cessna 172. But before I do leave, I needed to take Sammy out for a flight because we arranged this prior and I am a man of my word. Soon after arriving at the airport, we headed over to the plane and I did my pre-flight and walk-around. I then towed the airplane over to the fuel pumps and added fuel to both wing tanks.

Took up the Piper Cherokee (N7625F) for a nice local flight!

Once pre-flight preparation was complete, I helped Sammy into the plane and I got myself situated and got the engine started. After a good, clean start-up, I taxied us over to Runway 12, where I did the run-ups. After verifying that everything was in the green, we were ready to get airborne. But first, we took a selfie!

Obligatory selfie before takeoff!
(Photo credit: Sammy Graves, my lovely passenger!)

I taxied us onto Runway 12, began takeoff roll, and we were airborne. I climbed over and around the airport to get up to an altitude that would put us above Provo Airport's Class Delta airspace. Once at the desired cruise altitude, I took us north towards Provo and we flew over the city and passed by Y Mountain, allowing my passenger to get some pictures on her phone and getting view few get to see. I then turned us back to the north and invited Sammy to take the controls and get a taste of what it's like to fly an airplane; she gladly accepted!

Under my supervision and assistance, Sammy flew the airplane southbound away from Provo and then we turned towards Payson. After flying south for a little bit, I took the controls and began descending towards pattern altitude. I also turned us around back to the north over Santaquin and got in position to circle the Payson LDS Temple for Sammy to see. After circling the Temple, I decided it was time to head back to the airport. I flew us northbound and entered the left-downwind for Runway 12 after over-flying the field above pattern altitude and swinging back around.

I got the plane set up for and we made a gentle landing on Runway 12. After clearing the runway, I taxied us back to the ramp, where I shut the engine down and called it a successful flight. After helping Sammy off the plane, I towed the good ol' Cherokee back onto the tie-down spot I pulled it out of and secured it. Once post-flight was complete, we called it a good flight and we drove back to Provo so Sammy could get to her classes on time!

I am going to miss flying out of Spanish Fork...

No comments: