About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Pilot Life: Bingeing on Approaches!

Today, my uncle and I executed our plan that we were supposed to do yesterday! We practiced shooting several instrument approaches into three different airports; I'm coining today's flight as "the approach binge!"

We binged on several instrument approaches in N5174E!

After departing Albany, we set first set up for the RNAV 17 approach into Corvallis like how we did yesterday; I let my uncle get most of the hood time on today's flight and acted as his safety pilot while he got some practice getting used to flying these approaches. For me personally, it has been very beneficial to have the two of us working on our instrument rating together. My uncle shot the approach really well; the only thing he really needs to refine is his radio work, but that will come with practice.

We went missed on the RNAV 17 in Corvallis and we headed south to Eugene. We got in touch with Cascade Approach and we were given radar vectors for the RNAV 16L approach for Eugene Airport. Once again, my uncle shot this approach while I kept my eyes outside the cockpit looking for air traffic. We were cleared for the RNAV 16L approach and were instructed to call up Eugene Tower, which my uncle did. After another well-done approach, we went missed again and we departed southbound. We got back in touch with Cascade Approach and we picked up VFR Flight Following down to Roseburg. We were eventually handed off to Seattle Center and Roseburg Airport came into sight (at least for me!) soon after. I informed Center that we intended to shoot the RNAV approach into Roseburg and they eventually cut us loose.

My uncle shot the approach and we landed on Runway 34 at Roseburg. Since it was a short runway, we cleared off and taxied back for takeoff. After getting airborne, we got back in contact with Seattle Center and we tracked all the way back to Albany; I also logged simple hood time for myself on the return leg, navigating solely by instruments. By the time we got back to Albany, winds were favoring Runway 16, so we landed in that direction!

After landing, we taxied to fuel pumps and topped off the fuel tanks. Once that was done, we taxied the Cessna back to my uncle's hangar and we called it a successful flight and secured the airplane. I'd say that was a fun binge!

No comments: