About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, November 20, 2017

Pilot Life: One Last Practice Before the Checkride

Tomorrow's the day. Needless to say, I'm nervous. But I'm preparing as much as I can and that included one last practice flight flying solo and I used every available minute of my scheduled block time today!

N802CT will be my aircraft of choice!

After pre-flighting the aircraft, I got airborne as soon as practical and headed south to do all the maneuvers I was taught; I can expect to do any of these things I've learned the day of the checkride. I did everything from stalls, steep-turns, simulated emergency procedures, ground reference maneuvers and pattern work with all the landing techniques.

During my return and entry into the Spanish Fork pattern, I encountered an aircraft in the pattern entering the left downwind for Runway 30; I hadn't heard them make any calls over the CTAF. I didn't think about it as I focused on creating some spacing to avoid a collision. I later found out that the aircraft was NORDO (No Radio). I made three landings practicing the various techniques in the pattern while keeping an eye out for the NORDO aircraft at all times. After my third landing, I taxied off the runway and returned to the ramp. During my taxi back, my instructor texted me telling me good job with the NORDO aircraft I encountered; he must have either saw or heard what happened! After I shut the engine down and exited the aircraft, the instructor who was teaching in the NORDO aircraft came up to me and thanked me for giving him that spacing! Glad I did something (and pretty much everything!) right!

No comments: