About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Gallery Update: Chasing a Red Autogyro

On approach to landing at the end of my solo training flight this afternoon, I noticed an unusual aircraft holding short of the runway waiting to takeoff. It was an AutoGyro Cavalon, a German autogyro rotorcraft. Built by AutoGyro GmbH in Hildesheim, Lower Saxony, Germany, the Cavalon seats two in a side-by-side configuration. Spanish Fork is home to Airgyro Aviation, specializing in the manufacturing of three models of their own autogyro aircraft. The Cavalon I sought after with my camera is a pre-owned one that's actually up for sale by Airgyro Aviation; as it turns out, the company's secondary business model includes training and selling autogyro aircraft built by other manufacturers. I've actually seen this aircraft at Spanish Fork in the past, but never was able to get a decent photo of it until today. After I finished my flight, I noticed that the Cavalon was working the pattern so I quickly grabbed my camera and got a few good shots of it.

Spanish Fork-Springville (U77) 6

Preview:

AutoGyro Cavalon (N509QB) on short final for 30. Powered by a Rotax 914 engine.

A quick look at the FAA aircraft registry indicates that this Cavalon is one of 38 currently registered in the United States. Always exciting to see unique aircraft like this!

No comments: