About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Friday, January 11, 2019

Pilot Life: Time for Another VOR Check!

The good ol' Skyhawk was due for another VOR Check, so I saddled up the airplane and made a quick local flight down to Corvallis and back to get that done! It was also a nice day to fly after a few days of rain and lousy weather so I wasted no time with the opportunity!

Keeping N5174E and her equipment inspections in check. In the case of the VOR Check, it's cool that the pilot can do it!

Following pre-flight preparations, start-up, taxiing, and run-ups, I got airborne off Runway 34 and pointed the nose towards Corvallis. After getting the local weather for Corvallis via AWOS, I made my way towards the airport and got set up to land on Runway 35 after crossing over at midfield above pattern altitude. After an uneventful landing, I cleared the runway and taxied over to the designated VOR check station on the main ramp. I parked the plane and kept the engine running while I did the VOR inspection by tuning into the navigational station and recording any bearing errors, which thankfully stayed within the limitations as prescribed in the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs).

With the VOR Check complete, it was time for me to head back to Albany. I taxied to Runway 35 and got airborne. After gaining some altitude, I turned to the northeast towards Albany and decided to have some quick fun by getting some landing practice in. I did one touch-and-go landing followed by a lap in the pattern before making a full-stop landing to end the flight. After refueling the tanks, I taxied the plane over to the hangar where I put it away and called it another good flight.

No comments: