About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Pilot Life: Practice ILS & VOR Approaches into Corvallis

I took advantage yet again of another unprecedented sunny day to get a flight in! And better yet, I was able to practice some more Instrument approaches visually and make this solo flight worthwhile.

My ride of choice... or rather my only ride these day, N5174E!

After the typical pre-flight and before-takeoff checks, I departed Albany via Runway 34 and ascended. After getting in touch in Cascade Approach and on to their radar screens, I requested radar vectors for the ILS 17 approach into Corvallis. While flying the heading ATC vectored me to, I briefed the approach plate. After getting established on the final approach course, the approach controller had me change over to CTAF so I could make my position call outs. Overall, I shot this approach well, despite the turbulence I experienced on the descent near the proximity of the hills. I went missed on this approach and began flying the missed approach profile.

After re-establishing radio contact with Cascade Approach, I then requested the VOR 17 approach into Corvallis, starting with the DME arc. My request was granted and was instructed to report when established on the final approach path. En route to the initial approach fix, I briefed the approach plate. I then flew the DME arc until I was officially established on the final approach fix and informed ATC. They cut me loose and advised when I could cancel Flight Following with them. I elected to do on the ground in Corvallis this time since I was planning on doing a full-stop landing there. ATC cut me loose and I flew the approach down all the way to the runway.

After landing and clearing off the runway, I called up Cascade Approach on a dedicated frequency to let them know I've landed and requested to cancel. After exchanging pleasantries, I went on my way by taxiing back to Runway 17 for a VFR departure back to Albany. After waiting for some landing traffic, I got on the runway and got airborne. I departed the Corvallis pattern via the downwind and made my way back to Albany, where I would land on Runway 16 after overflying the airport midfield and setting up on the downwind.

After I landed, I cleared the runway and taxied over to the fuel pumps to top off the tanks, as is my habit! After refueling was complete, it was just a matter of taxiing the plane back to the hangar and putting it away before calling it another good day of flying. Tomorrow, I meet again with my flight instructor.

No comments: