About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Pilot Life: Cross Country to Twin Oaks

We're getting some nice weather starting today and going forward for a couple days and I'm going to take advantage of it! For today's flight, I decided to follow up on a lead my flight instructor gave to me regarding multi-engine flight training by flying up to Stark's Twin Oaks Airpark, a privately-owned, public use, family-owned and operated airfield just south of Hillsboro! So once again, I saddled up the Skyhawk and made the trip in an afternoon. I made the trip a cross-country, my first one of the year and the first cross-country flight I've done in two months!

Taking N5174E up to a quaint little airpark!

After the usual pre-flight business, I got airborne off Runway 34 in Albany and headed north; due to some partial cloud coverage en route, I navigated by way of Independence and McMinnville (what I call the western route up the valley!) and maintained VFR. With ADS-B on hand and eyes outside the cockpit, I made my way up Stark's Twin Oaks Airpark. Tucked away surrounded by hills, I navigated around the terrain and got sight of the airfield. I crossed over midfield and set for the left downwind for Runway 2, which happens to slope uphill slightly! After an uneventful landing on the short and narrow runway, I taxied over to the ramp and parked the airplane... in the mud! Sorry uncle Alan!

After securing the airplane, I got out and looked around, talked to some people, and got some contact information. And of course, I got a good look at the multi-engine aircraft I'm interested in flying for training!

Piper PA-23 Apache/Seguin Geronimo (N1231P), the reason why I flew up to Twin Oaks for, to take a look at for potentially doing my multi-engine training in.

I gotta say, I was quite impressed with the atmosphere this particular airpark community had! After I was done, I got back in the Skyhawk I flew up in and got ready to return home southbound. After starting up the engine, I taxied uphill towards Runway 20 and held short to do run-ups. After run-ups, I got airborne and followed the airpark's noise abatement procedures before heading southbound. It was a routine VFR cross-country flight and before I returned to Albany, I headed down to Corvallis for my 50 nautical mile leg of the trip in (yes, it's another triangle route!).

Another uneventful leg followed by a direct downwind entry for Runway 35 into Corvallis, which ended with a touch-and-go. After getting back up in the air, I turned back to the northeast towards Albany, where I landed back on the same runway I departed from two hours earlier. After a quick stop to top off fuel tanks, I returned the plane back to the hangar and called it a successful outing with a few things to ponder and plan over for the future.

No comments: