About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Pilot Life: Sunday Flyer Shooting Instrument Approaches

Considering the good weather we've had the past few days, I decided to make an exception with regards to flying on Sundays and actually went for a flight since today was just absolutely gorgeous!

Taking N5174E up on a Sunday drive flight!

After pre-flight preparations, I hopped in the plane and got the engine started. After taxiing to Runway 34 and doing my run-ups, I got airborne. From there, I wasted no time in getting in contact with Cascade Approach to request VFR Flight Following as well as the practice VOR/DME 17 approach into Corvallis for my first practice Instrument approach. I also want to give a huge shout-out to the ATC folks throughout the country right now as they're working to keep the U.S. airspace system safe and dependable without pay because of the current government shutdown that's been going on since the holidays! Folks like these just goes to show that we live in a fine country (insert partial political sarcasm here!).

As per the usual, I briefed the approach, flew the DME arc until getting established on the final approach course. The approach terminated by going missed and I then flew the published missed-approach procedure before requesting the next Instrument approach I wanted to practice, which would be the RNAV 17 back into Corvallis. Again, I briefed the approach and proceeded towards the initial approach fix, which I crossed twice since I had to turn around to get established on the final approach course by the second crossing; ATC also requested that I report crossing the initial approach fix inbound!

From there, it was another routine approach, stepping down in altitude as appropriate, as I've practiced many times before with this particular approach! I went missed again and flew the published missed approach procedure (as depicted on the approach plate!). ATC kept me on their screens and had me continue flying the missed approach procedure a little longer than usual because of some local air traffic in the area. Again, shout-out to these guys for what they're doing! Eventually, ATC at Cascade Approach did cut me loose and I was free to return back to Albany.

Given my current position, I made a 45 degree entry to the left downwind for Runway 34 and made an uneventful landing after and hour-and-a-half of flying. Prior to returning the plane to my uncle's hangar, I topped off the fuel tanks (for tomorrow's flight with my instructor) before calling it another successful flight putting everything I've learned in recent weeks into good practice!

No comments: