About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Pilot Life: First Flight of 2019!

It wasn't even 24 hours into the New Year and I've already gotten some flying in; you know you're off to a good start of flying for the year when you get to fly on New Year's Day in western Oregon, especially this time of year is supposed to see endless rain!

First flight of the year in N5174E!

After doing pre-flight, I pulled the airplane out of the hangar, hopped in, and got the engine started. I taxied over to Runway 16 and did my run-ups. I then got airborne and first flew north, departing via the downwind. Before I drove down to Albany, I checked the weather for Corvallis and it was reporting clear. However, once I got airborne, the weather was reporting reduced visibility and with mist. And I visually confirmed that there was a layer of fog in the rural areas between Albany and Corvallis; but the visibility was slowly improving so I flew around the valley until the much of the fog burned off.

Eventually, I established radio contact with Cascade Approach and got radar vectors for the first Instrument approach I wanted to practice, the RNAV 17 into Corvallis; as always, I briefed the approach plate as well. The approach and procedures going into it went off without a hitch. I executed a missed approach and requested the GPS-A approach into Albany for a full-stop for my second practice Instrument approach. My request was granted and I was cleared for the approach. I flew the approach from the Corvallis VOR after gaining some altitude and established myself inbound. I also terminated VFR Flight Following with Cascade Approach and they cut me loose.

I flew the approach as far as I could and then made a standard entry into the traffic pattern for Runway 34 due to some aircraft flying in the vicinity. I made an uneventful landing on Runway 34, cleared off, taxied to the fuel pumps, and topped off the tanks. Afterwards, I taxied the plane back to my uncle's hangar and called it a good flight and a good start to the New Year.

No comments: