About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Pilot Life: Updrafts, Downdrafts, and Change in Plans

Another day, another round of instrument flight training with my instructor. Today's flight took place during the heat of the day so there were plenty of updrafts and downdrafts. Today's flight lesson also didn't go as planned so we had settle for some other things beneficial to my training. I met with my instructor and I immediately went to the plane to do the pre-flight. My instructor joined me at the plane on the tie-down spot and we pulled it onto the taxiway before hopping in; no fueling this time as the tanks were already three-quarters full!

Another round of adventures in N968CT!

Engines started, I taxied us over the run-up pad and did a quick engine run-up. After that was done, we took off, I went under the foggles, and I contacted Salt Lake Approach to start flying the ILS 13 approach into Provo. However, as we approached the Fairfield VOR, the approach controller called up and notified us that Runway 13 in Provo was closed. Well, so much for that plan! We switched tactics and decided to shoot some RNAV GPS approaches down at Nephi. After briefing the approach plate, we flew the RNAV 17 approach tracking from the Fairfield VOR, which would end in a missed approach.

We then flew back to Spanish Fork since time was lost to changing plans. To get my instrument time though, I stayed under the foggles until we were about to enter the pattern. We flew the pattern and decided to have a little fun with some crosswind landing practice. We did two crosswind landings in Spanish Fork before we ended the flight lesson and called it another successful flight.

No comments: