About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Sean Flying!

It's been a while since I last took a friend flying around the valley, but today changed all that as I was privileged to take my friend Sean flying around the valley for a quick local flight before he went home for the summer in a few days! The two of us met at the Spanish Fork Airport and waited for the plane we were going to fly; I originally scheduled us for the Cherokee, but it went down for its upcoming 100 hour inspection, so I had to settle for a Katana instead. Once the plane became available, we headed out to it; the previous guys flying it were nice enough to park it by the fuel pumps!

We took N802CT; it certainly has been a while since I last flew this particular Katana!

After completing the pre-flight, I put some fuel in the tanks. I then pulled the airplane away from the fuel pumps to make room for any other planes that may want to use them as a common courtesy. We hopped in the plane, closed the canopy, went through my start-up checklist, and got the engine started. I quickly picked up the latest weather information via the AWOS frequency and then I taxied us a short distance and did the run-ups. Afterwards I taxied us over to Runway 30 only to realize winds completely shifted! So I taxied us over to Runway 12 instead. I held short and verified final approach and departure ends were clear and taxied onto the runway. I throttled forward to start takeoff roll and we got airborne. I made a right crosswind departure southbound over the interstate.

From there, I invited Sean to take the controls and feel what it's like to fly an airplane. We stayed over the Interstate and I guided him through some gentle banks and maintaining level flight until we were just south of Payson. I retook the controls and made a gentle descent in preparation for some turns around point around the Payson LDS Temple, my customary sight-seeing agenda for any scenic flight with a friend! I set up for the turn and began circling the Temple, allowing my buddy Sean to get some pictures for himself!

After completing the maneuver, I decided to take us back to the airport. I tuned into the AWOS and go figure, the winds that shifted back when we were on the ground was gusting. I would've done a touch-and-go, but I decided to play it safe and make the landing a full-stop. Winds were still favoring Runway 12, so I crossed over midfield above pattern altitude and swung back around to enter the left downwind leg at pattern altitude. I set up for landing configuration and flew the pattern until I established on final approach. Despite the stiff winds, I made a smooth landing! After rolling out, I taxied us off the runway at the next available taxiway. Once we were clear, we took a selfie!

Obligatory selfie after landing!
(Photo credit: Sean Fisher, my co-pilot/passenger!)

I taxied us back over to the hangar, where I shut the engine down and conducted a quick post-flight. After disembarking, we put the Katana in the hangar and called it a successful flight.

No comments: