About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Pilot Life: Practicing the Provo ILS 13 Approach

It was time for another round of instrument flight training. I met with my instructor and we got to work. I did the pre-flight and then put some fuel into the airplane. After fueling was complete, my instructor and I hopped in and I got the engine started. After conducting run-ups, I taxied us over to the runway and we took off and headed west towards Fairfield.

I will be doing quite a bit of instrument training in N968CT.

Once again, my instructor had me throw on my foggles and fly under simulated instrument conditions and had me track to the Fairfield VOR. He also had me do much of the work in terms of talking to Salt Lake City Approach and the tower controller at Provo. Like the last instrument training flight we did, we made the ILS 13 approach into Provo, and I got to practice this particular approach twice. Typical routine includes briefing the approach plate (which I have access to from downloads via my ForeFlight app on my iPad), talking to the approach controller, following the references on the plane's GPS (cross-referencing them with my instruments), and constantly scanning my instruments. My first ILS 13 approach resulted in a missed-approach. Afterwards, I got back on with Salt Lake Approach and requested vectors to the final approach localizer for Runway 13. They gave me vectors and I followed their instructions. My instructor walked me through the process where needed.

Once again, I made the approach under the foggles, all while trying to stay established on the glideslop and localizer for the runway. Once at minimums, my instructor had me remove my foggles and I went missed again because I was off. I called up tower informing them we were going missed and requested a straight-out departure to Spanish Fork, which was approved. We flew overhead at midfield and entered the left downwind for Runway 30 to conclude the flight. I ended up doing a go-around because I came in a little high on final approach, so I flew the pattern once more made a landing on 30 on the second attempt. After rolling out, we vacated the next available taxiway and taxied back to the ramp, where I shut the engine down to conclude the flight.

No comments: