About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Kalissa Flying!

After spending some time in Oregon (and not flying!), it's time to get back in the air to practice some instrument approach procedures and get proactive with my flying, and that's exactly what I did today. I also invited my friend Kalissa to join me as a passenger for today's flight; believe it or not, she has never flown in an airplane in her life, which I found hard to believe initially! After arriving at the airport, we headed to the hangar where the plane was parked and I conducted my pre-flight and walk-around. I then towed the plane over to the fuel pumps and topped off the tanks before hopping in with my passenger and getting the engine started.

Went up to practice instrument approaches with a friend on board in N968CT.

After start-up, I taxied us over to the run-up pad, did my before-takeoff checks, taxied to the runway, started takeoff roll and we got airborne. I took us west towards Fairfield so I could practice the ILS 13 approach into Provo. I got in radio contact with the approach controller in Salt Lake City and they gave us radar vectors. From there, we flew over Utah Lake and my passenger, Kalissa enjoyed the view as I flew the approach profile. With help from Salt Lake Approach, I was able to get established on the ILS 13 localizer into Provo. I was eventually instructed to call up Provo Tower, which I did; I requested a touch-and-go for Runway 13 followed by a left turn out back to the north (I was replicating as much as I can what I did when I shot these approaches with my flight instructor on recent flights). Tower cleared me and I continued my approach. Without the foggles, I was able to visually see what this instrument approach procedure was and feel like I've gained a better understanding of the principles at hand.

I continued my approach and made a smooth touchdown! I throttled forward and got us back up in the air, executing a left crosswind on the departure end of the runway. I then proceeded eastbound until over the Interstate, followed by another left turn to the north. This allowed Kalissa a good view of Y Mountain, an icon of the university she attends! Once out of Provo's Class Delta airspace, I got back into contact with the approach controls and requested radar vectors to the localizer for another shot at the ILS 13 approach for Provo; my request was granted and I flew the headings they called out for me to fly on. Once again, I got established on the localizer and was cleared for the ILS approach. Once again, they advised me to call up Provo Tower, which I did. This time I requested a touch-and-go, followed by a straight-out departure to Spanish Fork; once again, I was cleared for touch-and-go with a straight-out departure approved.

Once again, I continued my approach and executed another smooth landing on Runway 13 before throttling forward to get back in the air, completing the touch-and-go. I departed Provo's airspace southbound and we made our way back to Spanish Fork. I approached the airport from the northeast, crossed over midfield above pattern altitude, and made a descending right turn to enter the the
45 degree angle to downwind for Runway 30. Once established on the downwind leg, I configured the plane for landing, got established on final approach and made a smooth landing. I cleared the runway and taxied us back to the hangar. Once there, we took a selfie!

Selfie after landing!
(Photo credit: Kalissa Nielsen, my lovely passenger!)

I shut the engine down and called it a successful flight and a fun evening outing with a first-timer in an airplane! After doing post-flight, I towed the plane into the hangar and we headed home.

No comments: