About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Friday, December 8, 2017

Pilot Life: Utilizing ForeFlight and Stratus

This morning, I embarked on a solo flight, the first one I've had in a little over a week. Although I would've loved to have someone join me, I couldn't find someone to who could tag along in time. But it's nice to go up to be alone with your thoughts in the airplane every once in a while too... Today's flight was on one Platinum Aviation's Katanas that's equipped with a Strutus WiFi router; I've started utilizing the ForeFlight app on my iPad just a few months ago and I've been using it for flight preparations on the ground. But I've never used it in-flight before and I figured I should give it a try today, since I scheduled myself in a plane equipped with a Stratus WiFi router.

I took N968CT up today because it's equipped with a Stratus WiFi network where I could connect my iPad to use ForeFlight during the flight.

After doing a cold pre-flight, I pulled the airplane away from the hangar, hopped in and got started up. The stratus booted up with the rest of the avionics and I was able to establish a wireless connection to my iPad; ForeFlight automatically detected the Stratus and it was now showing me the position of my aircraft in real-time while in movement! After doing run-ups, I taxied out to the runway and took off. Once airborne I turned to the south to fly around the valley for a bit; I didn't go too far because there was an inversion layer over the ground. Every once in a while, I glanced over at ForeFlight on my iPad; I was getting real-time in-flight information, which was cool! ForeFlight showed my current position and even showed where other aircraft equipped with ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast) equipment were. When I first started using ForeFlight, I thought it was a handy tool and it still is. But I've become even more of a convert to it!

After flying around in the southern part of the valley a little bit, I decided to head to Provo to practice some touch-and-go landings at tower-controlled airport like I did when I took my sister flying three days ago. I did three touch-and-goes in the Provo traffic pattern before heading back to Spanish Fork, where I'd land and call it a flight, and a fine way to spend a Friday morning! And I certainly look forward to utilizing ForeFlight a whole lot more in furthering my flight training!

No comments: