About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, December 18, 2017

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Erin Flying!

Another flight, another passenger! I invited Erin, another one of my friends to go flying with me today; I previously offered to take her once I got my license and today was the opportunity to fulfill that promise. The plane I was scheduled to take up today was inside the maintenance hangar so my friend and I walked over there. Once we verified that the Katana was there, I went ahead and conducted pre-flight inspections on it. Once that was was done, I opened up the hangar doors, pulled the airplane out onto the taxiway, closed the hangar door, and we hopped in. After a quick passenger/crew briefing, I got the engine started up, no problem. I taxied a short distance and commenced the run-up procedures; engine gauges were in the green. I continued the taxi to the runway, lined up, and I began takeoff roll before getting airborne.

And another flight in N992CT!

Once airborne, I turned us out to the south and took my friend on a little sight-seeing flight around the valley. I started by flying around the small town of Salem, which sits between Spanish Fork and Payson. This area peaked my friend's interest because she often works as a substitute teacher at one of the schools in Salem; she was able to point out where she worked. I then took us to Payson, where we circled the LDS Temple. And once again, as is my custom taking passengers for a little sight-seeing flight, I decided to head into Provo, so I picked up the current ATIS information on weather and called up tower to receive instruction. I entered the pattern and made my laps, logging a total four touch-and-go landings on Runway 13 at Provo. Things were about to get busy at Provo with an Allegiant Air Airbus A319 getting ready to depart, so it was a good time to head back to Spanish Fork after doing my fourth landing there. Provo tower actually requested that I make a left turn out to the east for about a mile upon departing the runway to make room for said Airbus that was taking off behind me; they really appreciated that!

Once again, I tuned into the Spanish Fork AWOS frequency after Provo tower cut me loose and I entered the pattern from the northeast. I flew over the airport a midfield and then swung back around for the left downwind for Runway 30 and did three laps in the pattern over Spanish Fork and made three landings. Of course, I made the third landing at Spanish Fork a full-stop landing.

Selfie after landing!
(Photo credit: Erin Solomon, my lovely passenger!)

After landing, I vacated the runway on the next available taxiway and taxied the Katana back to the Platinum Aviation hangar, where I shut down the engine and secured the airplane for the day. Needless to say, my passenger enjoyed the experience today! And I was glad that I was able to exercise my privileges as a pilot and bring her along!

One more selfie after hopping out of the airplane! Thanks Erin for flying with me!
(Photo credit: Erin Solomon.)

No comments: