About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Fran Flying!

I took Fran, another passenger up flying today (my third passenger this year!); she expressed interest in going up with me when opportunity permitted. This was also her first time flying in a General Aviation aircraft, so she was pretty excited about going up! Likewise, I was excited to fly someone and introduce a first-timer to the world of General Aviation and present a unique view that very few people get to enjoy on a frequent basis! We just had one hiccup: the plane I originally scheduled us for got taken over to the maintenance hangar! Luckily, another one just came out of maintenance so I took that one, albeit, an hour later than what I originally scheduled us for!

We were supposed to take up N968CT for another spin but...

...we ended up taking N802CT up instead!

Once the aircraft became available, I wasted no time in getting the pre-flight done.

Doing the pre-flight inspections while I'm on candid camera!
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg.)

My passenger and I hopped in, got settled, quickly briefed on procedures, and I got the engine started. I then taxied us a short ways to do the run-ups; gauges were green, so I taxied us out to the runway and we got airborne! After takeoff, I turned us out to the south towards Payson to take my passenger sight-seeing. She was having a blast!

Obligatory selfie! Since earning my license, taking up passengers who rarely get to experience General Aviation is one privilege I've really enjoyed exercising!
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg, my lovely passenger!)

View of the mountains as we climbed out southbound.
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg; she took A LOT of pictures and was kind enough to send me a bunch of the good ones!)

We flew around Payson for a little bit, and I even let my passenger try her hand at the controls of the Katana we were flying in; she maintained altitude (with a little help from me!) during the gentle banks we made! I then took us into a rapid descent so I could circle the Payson LDS Temple for my passenger.

Orbiting the Payson LDS Temple.
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg.)

Afterwards, I decided to take us into Provo. I picked up the Provo ATIS information and contacted tower, letting them know we were inbound for some touch-and-go operations. It became quickly apparent that Provo Airport was busy when I established radio contact with them. I thought about what to do as we made our approach into Provo and I decided to do just one touch-and-go and head back to Spanish Fork so it wouldn't be as much of a hassle.

Heading towards Provo over Utah Lake, with Provo Bay just off the right wing.
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg.)

I entered the right traffic pattern for Runway 13 at Provo and the radio was just nonstop with all the General Aviation traffic. The tower actually had me extend my downwind leg for sequencing; I was number four in line for landing! Eventually, tower called to instruct me to make my base turn and did so; I had my eyes on another aircraft in front of us and made sure to keep adequate spacing in between us. I also kept an eye on any aircraft that could've been on their downwind leg to make sure they wouldn't cut us off. I made my approach and made a smooth landing on 13 before re-applying power and got airborne again. I informed tower of my intentions to return to Spanish Fork and I was approved for a straight-out departure.

Starting my base turn after an extended downwind for touch-and-go landing on Runway 13.
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg.)

I switched over to the Spanish Fork CTAF frequency and started making my position reports again, all while sharing the airspace with a Civil Air Patrol Cessna and a helicopter. Coming from the north, I flew over the Spanish Fork-Springville Airport overhead at midfield and swung back around to enter left traffic for the same runway we departed from earlier. From there, I just did several laps in the Spanish Fork pattern, ranging from touch-and-go landings, one stop-and-go, a short-field, and a soft-field landing techniques; better yet, my passenger even noticed how each landing was slightly different! Afterwards, I made a full-stop landing, vacated the runway and taxied back to the ramp. I parked us in front of Platinum Aviation's hangar and shut the engine down, calling it another successful flight with my third passenger flown this year!

(Oh, and I logged my 90th flight hour during this particular flight! Woo-hoo!!!)

A quick post-flight check with the last rays of daylight remaining.
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg.)

Airplane getting secured.
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg.)

One last selfie with the airplane. Thanks Fran for tagging along during my 90th flight hour! Great to fly with you!
(Photo credit: Fran Fehlberg.)

No comments: