About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Gallery Update: ATR-42 Sighting in McMinnville!

So is McMinnville like my go-to place to see rare and uncommon turboprop airliners here in the Pacific Northwest? Well, based on all the times I've done some spotting there every time I flew in has anything to say about it, then the answer is yes! For the third time, I flew myself up to McMinnville and chased down an 'Ohana by Hawaiian ATR turboprop that flew in the day before on a ferry flight from the islands to the mainland. This would be second time photographing one of Hawaiian's ATR-42s. In addition to the ATR-42, there were some firefighting helicopters flying around McMinnville as they got ready for the upcoming (and inevitable) wildfire season.

After flying back to Salem, I got a few quick shots from the ramp area as I got to see a pair of Piper Aztecs, which haven't been a common sight around here lately!

McMinnville (MMV) 5

Salem (SLE) 78

Preview:

Helicopter Transport Service Sikorsky CH-54B Tarhe (N718HT) working the pattern on 35. This frame is actually a former military version of the S-64B Skycrane formerly in U.S. Army service!

Cessna 140 (N1877V) arriving on 22 from Pacific City.

Empire Airlines (d/b/a 'Ohana by Hawaiian) ATR-42-500 (N804HC) parked on the ramp. Operated by Southern Cross Aviation for the ferry flight and arrived last night from Honolulu as SXA653. Scheduled to continue on with the same flight number tomorrow morning to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, where Empire Airlines has their main headquarters. Only my second time seeing an ATR-42 in passenger configuration! And this time, I caught the crew in the process of removing the ferry tanks.

Airframe first delivered to Czech Airlines (CSA) in May 2004 and withdrawn from use in October 2012. Acquired by Hawaiian Airline's 'Ohana operations in November 2012. This airframe was the second ATR to delivered to Hawaiian.

Aviat A-1B Husky (N422CC) parked on the ramp. I saw this float-equipped Husky in Salem just a little over a week ago and this is where it ended up!


Needless to say, this caught my eye rather quickly!

AĆ©rospatiale AS-332L1 Super Puma (N830AC) arriving back after working with a scoop basket. Getting ready for fire season no doubt! Neat to see a European helicopter built by the likes of AĆ©rospatiale, later Eurocopter, and now Airbus Helicopters!

Sadly, due to the ongoing repercussions from the pandemic along with the state of Hawaii's more-stricter (and perhaps a little over the top) restrictions in response, 'Ohana by Hawaiian operations have been suspended as of mid-January of this year, including cargo flights. This hurts a lot of residents in Lanai and Molokai, who used the service often.

Hopefully, as travel demand recovers and we finally but the pandemic behind us, Hawaiian will resume their turboprop flights. In the meantime, it seems prudent for the airline to send their planes in for maintenance while they're not doing much on the islands.

Piper PA-23-250 Aztec (N40454) taxiing for departure to Olympia. Arrived earlier this afternoon from Provo, Utah.

Piper PA-23-250 Aztec (N250PA) taxiing for departure to Olympia. Arrived earlier this afternoon from Provo, Utah.

No comments: