About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Gallery Update: More Exciting Sightings at Salem

After getting back from a solo flight, I went flying again with a friend/co-worker as his safety pilot, flying in a type I've never flown before! Before going flying with him though, there were a few interesting sightings here in Salem that I just had to chase down, including an Army Chinook helicopter! After getting back from flying as a safety pilot, I had to get photos of the AG-5B that we flew in!

Salem (SLE) 74

Preview:

United States Army Boeing MH-47G Chinook (03-03734) parked on the ramp. Likely assigned to the famous "Night Stalkers" of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) (160th SOAR(A)).

Only my second time seeing the MH-47G.

Cessna 525B CitationJet CJ3 (C-FNFS) parked on the ramp. Quite unusual to see a Canadian-registered biz jet here in Salem!

03-03734 taxiing out for departure, most likely for Joint Base Lewis-McChord, where the 4th Battalion of the 160th SOAR(A) are based at.

Lancair 320 (N70337) arriving on 34.

Cessna 175 Skylark (N7100M) airborne off 34. This is the unique tailwheel conversion that was done by Kyle Bushman and Ragwood Refactory down in Creswell, Oregon.

03-03734 getting airborne making an intersection departure from 34.

N70337 taxiing to the hangars.

American General AG-5B Tiger (N1196J). This is the plane my friend took me flying in and I got to log time from the right seat as his safety pilot! I was excited to add a new type to my logbook!

Some sunset shots after we landed and stopped at the fuel pumps.

Face-to-face with the only "Tiger" I'm willing to confront!

American General Aircraft Corporation (AGAC) picked up where Grumman left off with the AA-5 series of aircraft (which was then manufactured by the likes of American Aviation, Grumman American, Gulfstream American, and Tiger Aircraft). Re-designated the AG-5B, itself full of design improvements from the earlier AA-5 models.

I was duly impressed with how well-maintained this Tiger was! Special thanks to my buddy Mason for the invite to got flying with him!

No comments: