About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Pilot Life: Practicing Landings at Corvallis and Albany

I got some good flying weather today so I decided to go do some local solo flying to stay sharp since I haven't flown in a little over a week at this point.

Keeping my pilot skills sharp and running N5174E through her paces!

After pre-flight, I hopped in the airplane, got the engine started, and taxied over to the fuel pumps to top off my fuel tanks. After re-fueling, I taxied over to Runway 16, did my engine run-ups, and got airborne. During my previous flight, my landings have gotten a little sloppy, so today's flight was to knock off some rust, go back to the basics, and sharpen up my landing skills! And I started out by flying over to Corvallis and use the longer, wider runway to do just that! After picking up the weather, I monitored the airport's CTAF and entered the left-downwind for Runway 17.

I did three touch-and-go landings in Corvallis before I felt good about it and headed back up to Albany. But before heading back to Albany, I decided to fly up north towards Independence to check out where some of the surrounding cloud layers were. Let's just say I didn't like what I was seeing in front of me at the altitude I was flying at so I made a one-eighty and headed back to Albany! Several aircraft were using Runway 34 at this point, so I did the same.

I entered the left-downwind, and followed a Piper Cherokee in and did one more touch-and-go before getting airborne again for one last lap to beat up the pattern. I flew the pattern, following that same Piper Cherokee in, and made an uneventful landing on Runway 34. After clearing off the runway, I taxied over to the self-serve fuel pumps for the second time today and topped off the fuel tanks back to full, just in case either my uncle or I were to take the plane up again in the coming days; plus, on the last couple of flights I did, I've neglected to refuel because it was either dark outside upon my return or I had to debrief with a flight instructor following a flight, so I thought I'd better bring the plane back with a full tank this time around!

After taxiing the plane back to the hangar following the refueling, I put the airplane away, did some local plane-spotting, and called it a successful flight.

No comments: