About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, December 31, 2018

Pilot Life: Last Flight of 2018!

The final of day of the year 2018 ended up being absolutely beautiful so I took advantage of it and went up for a two hour-long flight up and down the Willamette Valley. Honestly, there's no better way to end the year than by going flying!

Taking up N5174E on the last day of 2018!

After the usual business of pre-flight and before takeoff, I got airborne and headed north. I followed the Willamette River towards McMinnville, where I decided to land and taxi back for departure. After picking up local weather information, I crossed over midfield for Runway 35, the shorter crosswind runway at the airport. After getting about a mile out, I made a teardrop entry back onto the downwind for Runway 35, sequenced myself in and landed. After clearing off Runway 35, I taxied over to Runway 04, the primary runway for the airport; the wind direction was varying between the runway I landed on and the runway I decided to depart from.

I got airborne off Runway 04 and headed back south. Once I was flying between Albany and Corvallis, I contacted the Cascade Approach controller and got on their radar screens, along with a request to shoot a practice the RNAV 35 approach into Corvallis; I also asked for the full approach, which was granted. I briefed the approach and headed to my first waypoint. Due to traffic in and around the Corvallis Airport, the controller asked if I could execute a procedure turn at the Initial Approach Fix before turning inbound; I didn't have a problem with that!

I executed the procedure turn and reported that I was established on the inbound final approach course. I was then cleared for the RNAV 35 approach into Corvallis before being cut loose by ATC. I then made my position calls on the Corvallis CTAF and descended as depicted on the approach plate I briefed. Overall, this approach went well, considering that I last shot this approach one other time while with an instructor, and it didn't go as well!

I executed the missed approach procedure and got back into contact with Cascade Approach. I requested cancellation of VFR Flight Following so I could return home to Albany. ATC cut me loose and I headed back to my home airport. I entered via an extended left-base for Runway 34 and executed a touch-and-go. I got back up into the pattern one more time before making a full-stop landing.

After clearing off Runway 34, I taxied to the fuel pumps, topped off my tanks, and brought the airplane back to my uncle's hangar before putting it away. Without a doubt, this was a good way to finish off flying for the year 2018! Hope I'll be able to take things further with my flying in 2019!

No comments: