About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Pilot Life: Practicing Approaches on My Own

After a good, long ground session with my instructor, I decided to go fly solo and practice flying instrument approaches since the weather was unexpectedly nice, VFR conditions today. My checkride was supposed to be this weekend, but I ultimately decided to postpone it and push it back a little bit because I want to make sure I'm absolutely ready for it.

Taking up N5174E up to practice instrument approaches on my own.

After pre-flight, I pulled the airplane out, hopped in, and got the engine started. I taxied over to Runway 16 and did my run-ups before getting airborne. I did one lap in the pattern around Albany and then headed southwest. I got into radio contact with ATC at Cascade Approach for traffic advisories and VFR Flight Following and then requested full approaches, starting with the RNAV 17 approach into Corvallis (which I shot twice recently with my instructor). I was granted the request and was instructed to report when established on the final approach course inbound. I briefed the approach plate and then flew the approach, keeping in mind some of things I needed to work on from past flights I've had recently with my instructor.

I shot the approach, keeping an eye on the CDI needle and making sure it stayed centered as I descended towards Runway 17 in Corvallis. I terminated the approach by going missed and got back into contact with the approach controller, this time requesting the full procedure with the DME Arc for the VOR 17 approach back to Corvallis. I got a "Proceed as requested" response from Cascade Approach and headed toward my initial approach fix by navigating with the Corvallis and Eugene VORs; I briefed the approach plate as well. I flew the DME Arc until established on the final approach course. From there, I made a routine descent towards Runway 17 again and terminated the approach by going missed.

I got back in touch with Cascade Approach and cancelled VFR Flight Following before heading back up to Albany. I entered the left downwind for Runway 34 at pattern altitude and made an uneventful landing. It was getting dark by the time I cleared off the runway so I taxied back to my uncle's hangar and called it a flight, satisfied with the approaches I shot (albeit visually) for practice.

No comments: