About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Pilot Life: More Instrument Training

After yesterday's training flight, I met with my instructor again today; we're going to tackle as much as we can and as much as we need to before being cut loose for the checkride.

Training continues in N5174E.

After doing the pre-flight in the hangar, I taxied the plane over to the fuel pumps because I needed to top of the fuel tanks. My instructor met me there and we briefed what we were going to do before hopping in; I restarted the engine, loaded up my approaches in the Garmin 430 GPS and taxied out to the run-up pad by Runway 34. After completing run-ups, my instructor had me don my foggles and I did a simulated zero-visibility takeoff as if I was taking off in foggy conditions!

After getting airborne, I proceeded towards the Corvallis VOR as per the Obstacle Departure Procedure (ODP) for the Albany Airport; we also got in touch with Cascade Approach and got Flight Following with traffic advisories. We started with some holding patterns over the Corvallis VOR before proceeding to do the ILS 17 Approach into Corvallis Airport, which would terminate with a missed approach. After going missed on this particular approach, my instructor had me to do the published missed approach procedure, which was to go to an intersection marked on the approach plate and we did some more holding patterns.

We then requested the GPS-A approach back into Albany, which we were cleared to do. I navigated towards the Corvallis VOR once again before proceeding inbound. Eventually, ATC cut us loose and I continued to fly the approach. My instructor eventually had me come out of the foggles and I flew in the rest of way visually, ending the flight with a smooth touch down on Runway 34. I taxied us over to the fuel pumps where I shut the engine down and we debriefed the flight.

Needless to say, I still have some work to do as there are still some areas that feel a little sloppy. I parted ways with my instructor before refueling the tanks. I taxied back to my uncle's hangar and put the airplane away before heading home reflecting on what I've learned today and where I still have yet to be...

No comments: