About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Pilot Life: Even More Instrument Training

There's no other way to put it: Today was not the best flight lesson. Many things about today was just sloppy and it showed. And to be honest, I'm starting to question whether or not if I'm ready for that checkride; I knew I had a lot to overcome since starting Instrument flight training, but even I admit that it can be overwhelming at times...

On the bright side, at least N5174E is still working great.

My instructor and I flew together again, this time focusing on non-precision, VOR approaches. After doing another simulated zero visibility takeoff, we flew the Obstacle Departure Procedure out of Albany towards the Corvallis VOR. After picking up Flight Following from Cascade Approach, we requested the VOR 17 Approach into Corvallis, which we were cleared to. Using nothing but Distance Measuring Equipment (DME), I attempted the approach starting with the DME arc to get established on the final approach course; all I'm gonna say is that I could've shot that better!

Following a squirrelly approach down towards Runway 17 at Corvallis, we went missed and flew the published missed approach procedure which had us fly out to the an intersection of the Corvallis and Eugene VOR radials and attempted to fly a holding pattern there. We then requested the VOR-A approach back into Albany from the Corvallis VOR; we were cleared as requested. Again, I could've flown this approach better as it was just sloppy.

After we landed back in Albany, we debriefed; we've already established the fact that things were on the sloppy side today. I put the airplane back in the hangar after parting ways with my instructor before going home, somewhat kicking myself. Here's hoping to better flying ahead...

No comments: