About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking Twin Sisters on Two Flights on Two Different Planes!

I've had a busy day with TWO flights by taking twin sisters I'm friends with today. Since I'm still not checked out in the Diamond DA-40 Diamond Star (or any other four-seat aircraft for that matter!), two flights in a single day was justified. Plus they both had differing schedules so I could only take each of them flying during a certain time of the day. All in all, it was a great day of flying as I got to take each twin on a different aircraft for each flight!

First Flight: Taking My Friend Jessica in the Katana

The day started with a flight in the Katana; we were originally supposed to take up the Cherokee but the maintenance it was under was still on-going until later in the afternoon, so I reserved a Katana instead. Once the airplane became available, I wasted no time in getting the pre-flight done and putting some fuel in the tank.

First flight was onboard N992CT.

Once fueling was complete, we hopped in, went through pre-start briefing, and got the engine started up. Winds were favoring Runway 12 so I taxied us over and did the run-ups there as well. Once run-ups were complete, I lined the airplane up with the runway and we got airborne, with yet another first-time passenger in a General Aviation aircraft!

We turned southbound and flew around the valley, particularly around the Payson area, where the LDS Temple there was a focal point of the sight-seeing! Afterwards, I decided to take us into Provo for some touch-and-goes. As always, I picked up the weather information on ATIS frequency and then called up tower for instructions, to which I obliged. That's when things got a little crazy!

On my first downwind leg, I was cleared to do my first of three touch-and-go landings and began turning my base when the tower cancelled my clearance and requested that I extend the downwind leg to give way to a Beechjet 400. After establishing visual contact with the jet, tower cleared me for touch-and-go. I had to avoid wake turbulence from the Beechjet so I came in high. I eventually executed a slip on short final and was seconds away from landing when the tower called me to go around. Without hesitation, I obeyed and aborted the landing and started climbing out. Things weren't going the way I expected during this excursion to Provo!

I made right closed traffic and tried again. This time, I was able to execute my touch-and-go landing before I got back in the air again. Tower then requested that I make left closed traffic instead of the usual right traffic for Runway 13 operations; reasons were because there were several full-stop arrivals coming in and two departing aircraft that have been holding short of the runway for quite a while. As I made left closed traffic (meaning the runway was to the left as I flew the downwind leg!), tower once again requested that extend downwind and he would call my base leg. Once tower approved my base turn, I made a normal approach for landing. As I got closer and closer to the runway, I realized I never received landing clearance so I called tower and asked if I was clear. The tower controller cleared me for touch-and-go and he even thanked me for keeping him honest as he realized he never cleared me! Shout out to the tower guys at Provo!

I made my second touch-and-go and then made right closed traffic once again; I also let tower know of my intentions to depart straight-out to Spanish Fork after this circuit. I made my third touch-and-go and I was cleared for a straight-out-departure. The tower controller and I exchanged the usual pleasantries before being approved to change radio frequencies. Once again, I made position calls on the Spanish Fork CTAF and entered the left-downwind for Runway 12 as the winds still favored it. I executed another touch-and-go landing before getting back up in the air for one last circuit in the pattern. My next landing would be full-stop. As always, I kept my eyes peeled for other aircraft as there were several planes in the pattern over Spanish Fork-Springville Airport.

I made my full-stop landing and the cleared the runway at the next available taxiway. I taxied us back to the ramp and hangar before shutting down the engine and calling it another successful flight with another first-time passenger!

Obligatory selfie after landing!
(Photo credit: Jessica Boekweg, my lovely passenger!)

One passenger flown, one more to go for the day!

Second Flight: Taking My Friend Jennifer in the Cherokee!

A couple hours later, I traded one twin sister for another as I found myself back at Spanish Fork to take my second passenger of the day flying. And I finally got back in the Piper Cherokee for this flight! Once again, I did a pre-flight and walk-around for the airplane and then used the tow bar to pull it over to the fuel pumps to add some fuel to the wing tanks. After fueling was complete, we hopped in, closed up the door, and I went through start-up procedures to get the engine started. Much to my delight, the engine started right up and the throttle controls felt really responsive! Considering how much grief and trouble the Cherokee's engine throttle put us through last week with its broken throttle control cable, I was happy with the results! I then taxied us a short distance and did the run-ups. Once run-ups were complete and everything looked good, I taxied the plane over to Runway 30, lined up, and began takeoff roll and we got airborne!

Second flight was on board the Cherokee (N7625F) after it finally came out of maintenance!

I turned us out to the south as we climbed out. Like this morning, we flew around the valley for a scenic flight for a first-time passenger of a General Aviation aircraft, a privilege I thoroughly enjoy! Once again, the highlight feature would be the Payson LDS Temple where I circled the plane around a few times. I've also been wanting to take the Cherokee out to another airport to get some practice in on my landings. The place I had in mind was Nephi, since I figured that would be a good place to start before going to a controlled field like Provo. Plus, I've already been into Provo this morning, so we headed down to Nephi!

As usual, I picked up the weather and wind information on the AWOS frequency and made my position calls the CTAF. There was little to no activity so we pretty much had the airspace around Nephi Airport all to ourselves! I made my descent and entered the left traffic pattern for Runway 17 and I did several touch-and-go landings to get some practice in! I managed three good touch-and-go landings at Nephi before heading back north; it was really nice to have the airspace around Nephi all to myself to be able get the kinds of landings I wanted!

I flew us back up the valley with Spanish Fork and the rest of the Utah Valley coming into view. Once more, I tuned into the newly installed AWOS frequency at Spanish Fork and made my position reports on the CTAF frequency. I made my descent and entered us on the left traffic pattern for Runway 30 and prepared for another touch-and-go landing, which I was able to execute well. I got the good ol' Piper Cherokee back up in the air for one last lap in the pattern before making a full-stop landing. Good timing too, because other aircraft started calling in their positions intending to land. I made the landing and then vacated the runway at the next available taxiway.

Another obligatory selfie after landing!
(Photo credit: Jennifer Boekweg, my lovely passenger!)

I then taxied us back to the ramp and usual parking spot for the Piper Cherokee. I initiated shut-down procedures and the engine shut off. I called it another successful flight with my second first-time passenger of the day before proceeding to secure the aircraft.

Long day, but it was well-worth it! Thanks to the Boekweg sisters for being awesome passengers!

No comments: