About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, January 15, 2018

Pilot Life: Flying the Piper Cherokee with My Sister!

It's Martin Luther King Day so that means it's a no-school day for everyone! I was originally planning on flying in a DA-20 Katana with Cloe, my little sister this morning, but we were both tired from the weekend and I ended up cancelling the flight to catch up on some much-needed sleep.

However, I capitalized on this change in plans and my sister did end up flying later in the afternoon after we ran some errands; we flew in the Piper Cherokee! It's been about a month since I last flew in and got checked out in the Cherokee by my flight instructor, so naturally, I was a little nervous flying it again. However, I was able to recall everything I learned while flying it and applied it to today's flight with my first passenger of 2018 and my first passenger while flying the Cherokee! I ended up have a really good, enjoyable flight in the Piper Cherokee and it gave me a major confidence boost!

My fourth ever flight in the Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser, my first without an instructor, and my first with a passenger all in one go!

We got to the flight school, I did my pre-flight, and then got a workout towing the plane over to the fuel pumps with the tow-bar! I added some fuel to each of the wing tanks before moving the plane away from the self-serve fuel pumps. I took my time with all the pre-flight stuff since the Piper Cherokee is still fairly new to me. My sister and I hopped in the plane and after some initial difficulty, I got the engine started. I taxied a short distance to the runway and did my run-ups. Once I verified that engine systems were in the green, I taxied onto the runway, lined up, began takeoff roll,  and I got us airborne.

I initially stayed in the traffic pattern to practice a few landings. I honestly felt that I wasn't going to do too well with landings in the Cherokee. But strangely enough, I did really well as I was able to recall everything I previously learned flying the PA-28-140! It was like riding a bicycle as I was able to execute three decent touch-and-go landings on Runway 30 that I felt really good about! Having gained quite a bit of confidence in flying the aircraft, I asked my sister what we should do; she wanted to fly around the valley a little bit. So after the third touch-and-go, I took us away from the traffic pattern and headed south towards Payson, where we would fly around for a little bit enjoying the view and keeping an ear open on the Spanish Fork CTAF for traffic.

After we were done flying around, I took us back to Spanish Fork-Springville Airport, descending down to pattern altitude along the way. I entered the traffic pattern and set up for another good landing in the Piper Cherokee. After clearing the runway, I taxied us back to the ramp and the parking spot I pulled the plane from when this little adventure began. I shut the engine down and called it another successful flight; my first as the sole pilot-in-command in a Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser!

Needless to say, today's flight with my sister in the Cherokee was a huge confidence booster regarding my own personal evaluation as a pilot!

Right after the flight. The Cherokee is really growing on me!
(Photo credit: My sister Cloe.)

No comments: