About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Roommate, Ben Flying!

Time for another flight with a first-time passenger! This morning, I took up Ben, another one of my roommates for a little scenic flight around the valley; he didn't have classes until the early afternoon, so it was a rare case of me being able to take someone up on a busy weekday. Plus it made for a nice morning outing, considering that I've been recovering from a lousy cold since late last week and into this past weekend.

My go-to aircraft, N802CT!

It was cold outside, so I wasted no time in getting the pre-flight inspections done! I added some fuel to the plane as well. After fueling up, we hopped in and I got the engine started. I taxied the Katana a short distance and did the run-ups. I had no abnormalities show, so I continued taxiing to the runway and got us airborne.

Obligatory selfie before takeoff!
(Photo credit: Ben Thomson, my roommate from Canada!)

After getting airborne, I turned us out southbound and we flew around the valley for a little bit. After getting some distance between us and the Spanish Fork Airport, I asked my roommate if he wanted to try his hands at the controls for a little bit; he accepted and manipulated the stick to turn the airplane. I helped him out a little with rudder and power inputs. Afterwards, I retook controls and demonstrated a rapid descent so we could get a closer look at the Payson LDS Temple, which we circled around.

View of the Payson Temple with snow that fell over the weekend.
(Photo credit: Ben Thomson.)

After the scenic views, I tuned into Provo Airport's frequencies and it didn't sound too busy, so I decided to head there to do some pattern work and show my roommate what it's like to fly into a controlled field; this was also going to be my first time flying into Provo for the year 2018. As always, I picked up the weather from the ATIS frequency and then contacted the tower, where I received instruction for pattern entry.

A view of West Mountain just before turning around to head to Provo. Sure looks gorgeous with all the snow on the ground!
(Photo credit: Ben Thomson.)

I entered the right pattern for Runway 13 and made my radio calls; tower cleared me for touch-and-go followed by another right-closed-traffic circuit. I did three touch-and-go landings total at Provo, which turned out to be perfect because things started to sound like it was going to get busy so we high-tailed it out of there in time! After the third touch-and-go, I was cleared for a straight-out departure back to Spanish Fork. I gave the guys over at Provo Tower my appreciation and switched over to advisory frequency for Spanish Fork as we left Provo's airspace. I flew overhead at midfield over Spanish Fork Airport and swung back around to enter the left pattern for Runway 30, descending down to pattern altitude at the same time. I set up for another touch-and-go in the pattern all the while keeping an eye out for other aircraft. I did one last lap in the pattern and called it a flight with a full-stop landing.

After clearing the runway, I taxied the Katana back to the ramp in time for my flight instructor and his student to take it up afterwards. And once again, I was privileged to introduce someone new to my world and lifestyle!

No comments: