About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Gallery Update: Warbird Sighting at Spanish Fork!

I was supposed to go flying today, but I encountered some maintenance issues that forced me to cancel the flight and ground the airplane so the mechanic could take a look at it. While I was doing the pre-flight before I officially cancelled the flight though, I got a chance to check out an unusual warbird that happens to be based at Spanish Fork; I've actually seen the plane before but never had a chance to photograph it until today! The plane is a Cessna O-2 Skymaster, a military version of the model 337 which served as an observation aircraft as a forward air control (FAC) and psychological operations (PSYOPS) by the US military between 1967 and 2010. The airframe I saw is a veteran of the Vietnam War.

Spanish Fork-Springville (SPK) 9

Preview:

Cessna M377 O-2A Super Skymaster (N102WB). Ex-United States Air Force 67-21398. One easy way to distinguish between military and civilian Skymasters is that military models don't have propeller spinners.

Face-to-face with the Skymaster. This aircraft was riddled with bullet hole patch jobs on the engine cowlings from small arms fire during its service in Southeast Asia. This warbird is now being used as a research platform for radar technologies.

No comments: