About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Pilot Life: Solo Cross-Country Via Richfield and Nephi

It's two-for-two! This is turning out to be a really good week! This morning, I embarked on another, slightly longer solo cross-country flight down to Richfield and back. In addition to touching down in Richfield, I also made a stop in Nephi to fulfill certain distance requirements; I'd consider this my "Hail Mary" cross-country as a student pilot given the flight profile!

I got up early this morning to get my my flight plan charted out and then I headed to the airport. Like last time, I briefly met with my flight instructor and he approved of my flight plan (one of these days, I'm gonna start utilizing electronic means to make flight planning go by faster!). Afterwards, I called up the Flight Service Station in Cedar City to file my flight plan and requested the standard weather briefing.

N980CT, "Wolf 09," the Katana I did my "Hail Mary" cross-country flight in. How appropriate that I'd return to do a solo cross-country flight in the very plane I flew my first solo flight in!

I've had to get my instructor's endorsement for my last solo cross-country I did the other day and this one was no different. After signing me off, I headed out to the plane and quickly went through my pre-flight checks. I then hopped in, got the engine started, and got ready with the all the before-takeoff checks prior to getting airborne. Same route down and back, with the exception being that this cross-country required that I land at three different airports. So between my stop-and-go in Richfield and my full-stop landing in Provo, I did a stop-and-go in Nephi as well.

After getting back, my instructor was waiting for me and we debriefed before discussing our next plan of attack for when we go fly together again.

No comments: