About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, May 8, 2017

Pilot Life: Down to Richfield, First Solo Cross Country Flight

Today, I achieved another milestone in my belated flight training towards a private pilot certificate by going on my very first solo cross-country flight down to Richfield and back. This is one flight I waited several months to accomplish and needless to say, it just felt awesome to be up in the air by myself again and log some pilot-in-command time (which I haven't done since last November). I felt really good about this flight because despite the fact that it's been three weeks since I last flew a cross-country flight with my instructor, everything I re-learned back then was still fresh in my mind and I was able to recall everything I needed to utilize and remember for today's flight.

N208NH, "Wolf 02," the Katana I flew down to Richfield and back in for my first solo cross-country flight.

Last night, I wrote up my flight plan. When I got to the airport, I met with my instructor briefly so he could look at my flight plan; he approved of it, which was good enough for me. I went to a vacant classroom and called up the Flight Service Station in Cedar City to file my flight plan and pick up the standard briefing. Once that was all squared away, I got myself dispatched out, got a full load of fuel into the plan from the UVU dispatchers, and did my pre-flight. I hopped in the plane and got the engine started up. I got taxi clearance and taxied to the run-up area to check systems before continuing on towards the runway. Once I received takeoff clearance, I got airborne and headed south. I called Cedar City Radio and opened up my flight plan and leveled off at my chosen cruise altitude. I headed towards Nephi Airport, my first waypoint and made my position calls on the CTAF.

Once past Nephi, I headed towards the north end of the Sevier Reservoir, my second waypoint, where I would make a turn towards the southeast. Just south of Nephi, I ran into a little precipitation; I ensured that outside air temperature was above freezing and I made sure to stay out of any clouds. My next waypoint: Salina-Gunnison Airport, where I made my position reports on the CTAF. Once past that tiny airport, Richfield was in sight, so I began my descent and prepared for a touch-and-go landing, making CTAF position calls along the way. I set myself up at pattern altitude and entered the Richfield Airport pattern and prepared to land, downwind, base leg, final, and all. I touched down on Runway 19 and did my touch-and-go to get airborne again to fly home northbound.

After departing Richfield, my flight back towards Provo followed the same route I took in reverse order. As always, I made the appropriate radio calls whenever I was using an airport as a waypoint. Eventually, Provo came back into sight and I called up Cedar City Radio once again to close my flight plan. Once that was done, I contacted Provo Tower and received instruction in preparation for landing. I touched down on Runway 31 and taxied back to the ramp.

First solo cross-country flight complete!

No comments: