About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Gallery Update: Mitsubishi Marquise Sighting in Salem!

A year and a half ago, I photographed a Mitsubishi MU-2 for the first time. The twin-turboprop I photographed back then was a improved version of the short-fuselage variant, the MU-2B-40 Solitaire. Today, I got to photograph the ultimate version of the long-fuselage variant, the MU-2B-60, which has the same overall improvements with the ultimate version of its short-fuselage counterpart. Since MU-2s are fairly uncommon sights in my experience as a spotter, I knew I had to chase this one down!

Salem (SLE) 53

Preview:

Mitsubishi MU-2B-60 Marquise (N6KE) arriving on 31 from Idaho Falls.

My first time photographing one of the long-fuselage variants of Japan's most successful post-war aircraft designs!

N6KE taxiing to the ramp. 

The Marquise designation denotes that this is the ultimate version of the long-fuselage variant of the MU-2, much like the Solitaire I photographed last year being the ultimate version of the short-fuselage variant. Note the fuselage length of N6KE.

N6KE turning into the FBO ramp. Like the Solitaire, the MU-2 Marquise uses the Garrett (later Honeywell) TPE331 turboprop engines. And I appreciated the distinctive "scream" this engine emitted; it was pretty loud!

The MU-2 is such a unique aircraft that it's always worth chasing down. 139 MU-2B-60 Marquises were built out of the 704 MU-2s built to-date.

Face-to-face with the Marquise.

No doubt, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries designed a very respectable utility transport aircraft during the post-war era in Japan!

N6KE parked and engines shut down.

No comments: