About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Gallery Update: Coast Guard Hercules Sighting in Salem!

We got a surprising visitor in Salem and I must say, it was a nice and subtle highlight to end the 4th of July weekend on! The visitor was a Lockheed Martin HC-130J Hercules operated by the United States Coast Guard; having never seen a Herc operated by the Coast Guard before, I just knew I had to chase this plane down and get a few photos!

Salem (SLE) 51

Preview:

United States Coast Guard Lockheed Martin HC-130J (L-382) Hercules (2005) parked on the ramp. Aircraft currently assigned to CGAS Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Arrived early this morning from St. Louis. 

The Coast Guard's fleet of HC-130Js are derivatives of the KC-130J tankers used by the United States Marine Corps, itself a variant of the C-130J Super Hercules, newer than the legacy Hercules. The Coast Guard is currently in the process of replacing their legacy HC-130H Hercules with the new J-models; some of their old legacy Hercules have already been transferred over to the U.S. Forest Service for aerial firefighting roles.

My first time seeing a Coast Guard-operated Hercules and only my second time seeing a J-model! The Coast Guard Air Station that this Herc is based out of, CGAS Elizabeth City, is one of the busiest in the U.S. Coast Guard bases in the country, operating missions as far away as Greenland, the Azores and the Caribbean. 2005 is currently one of five HC-130Js stationed there.

Cessna 551 Citation II/SP (N551GE) parked on the ramp. Scheduled to depart Salem for Van Nuys tomorrow morning.

No comments: