About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Pilot Life: Solo Cross-Country to Hillsboro

What's turning out to be a fun weekend for me continues! After yesterday's successful outing to Madras where I finally checked out the Erickson Aircraft Collection, I found myself flying out to do more aviation-related things! This time however, I flew up to the Portland-area for the fourth time this year to attend an aviation event that was open to the public: the 2018 Hillsboro Airport Air Fair, an airport open house hosted by the Port of Portland. I actually had ulterior motives for making this trip, which was for schooling reasons for one of the classes I'm currently enrolled in this semester. The assignment is to attend at least three aviation-related events to report on (yes, it's for a grade!). Until today, I've previously attended two other events (the 2018 Oregon International Air Show and a safety seminar), so this trip was to basically attend my third!

Another fun, albeit shorter cross-country outing in N5174E!

After the usual pre-flight/pre-departure routines, I got airborne and flew to the northwest. Before landing in Hillsboro however, I needed to make a quick pit-stop in McMinnville because I wanted to check out something. After landing on Runway 22 following several aircraft that were already in the pattern, I taxied over to the ramp and shut the engine down. I grabbed my camera and let's just say I got a little taste of Hawaii as an Aviation Geek:

Sharing ramp space with an ATR-42-500 belonging to Hawaiian Airlines' regional arm, 'Ohana by Hawaiian! Before you ask, no, Hawaiian Airlines DID NOT start turboprop service to the islands from McMinnville! Normally doing inter-island hops in Hawaii, this rare sight is apparently visiting the mainland to get some heavy maintenance and checks done. McMinnville happens to be a transit point for long-distance ferry flights.

After my shameless plane-spotting opportunity was fulfilled, I hopped back back in the Cessna and got the engine started up again. Following run-ups, I taxied to Runway 22 where I held short for an obnoxiously long time waiting for a bunch of helicopters that were beating up the traffic pattern! Once there was an opening the queue, I taxied onto the runway and got airborne. I made right crosswind turn to the north and continued on my to Hillsboro Airport. I called up the Approach controller in Portland to pick up VFR Flight Following; even though Hillsboro is just short hop away from McMinnville, I was approaching areas with high volumes of flight training and air traffic in the area (Hillsboro Airport is the second-busiest airport in all of Oregon after all!), so it was nice to get traffic advisories from the folks at air traffic control!

I got the latest ATIS information for Hillsboro and the approach controller cut me loose and advised me to call up the tower controllers at the airport, which I did. I established radio contact with Hillsboro Tower and they instructed me to enter in on an extended left base for Runway 31L to sequence me in with other aircraft in the pattern. I kept an eye out for other aircraft as I made my long final approach in and made a smooth landing. I taxied off the runway and was advised to call up the ground controller and requested taxi clearance to parking close enough to where the event was being held; he graciously gave me directions to the central tie-downs over on the south end of the airport. After pulling into a spot, I shut the engine down and then secured the plane before walking across the ramp to check myself in for the event. I even RSVP'd so they knew I was coming!

As a General Aviation reliever airport for the nearby Portland International by catering to large business jets, three large flight schools, and corporations like Intel and Nike being headquartered in Hillsboro, it's no wonder why Hillsboro Airport is Oregon's second-busiest airport!

After attending the 2018 Hillsboro Airport Air Fair, it was time to go home. I returned to the airplane, did a quick pre-flight walk-around, hopped in, and got the engine started. I did my run-up on the ramp since there were no other aircraft around me. After listening to the updated ATIS information, I called up ground and picked up my taxi clearance, with instructions to taxi to Runway 13R (the winds shifted since my arrival!); the ground controller inquired if I need to do a run-up, to which I responded that I already did so before calling him up, which he greatly appreciated. I taxied over to the north end of the airfield via the parallel taxiway before holding short behind three other Cessnas; I had to wait a while too because of multiple landing aircraft.

To ATC's credit, they sequenced all the landing and departing traffic rather efficiently! Eventually, I got my takeoff clearance from the tower controller and I taxied onto 13R and got rolling without delay. After getting airborne, I requested a right crosswind departure to head south, which was approved and the tower controller cut me loose. I then contacted Portland Approach and requested VFR Flight Following to Albany; given where I was departing from, it was natural to get several traffic advisories en route, so I'm glad ATC was available for the return-trip. Otherwise, it was just another standard VFR flight on a rare, beautiful mid-October afternoon!

After flying over (and staying above!) Salem's Class Delta airspace, I began a gradual descent and Albany Airport came into view. I cancelled Flight Following an entered the traffic pattern via the extended left downwind for Runway 34, which I departed off of several hours earlier. With no other aircraft surprisingly in the pattern at the time of my arrival, I had the airspace all to myself! After making a smooth landing, I taxied off the runway and headed over to the self-serve pumps to top off the tanks once again, as is customary after a long outing like today. I then taxied the trusty Cessna 172 Skyhawk back to my uncle's hangar, where I put the plane away and called it another successful outing!

Flying out in an airplane to go see airplanes and do aviation-related things: Gotta love it! And definitely a good way to cap off the weekend!

No comments: