About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Friday, October 12, 2018

Pilot Life: Flight to Cottage Grove for Dinner with My Parents!

There's no better way to spend a Friday night than hopping in a private airplane and flying somewhere for dinner, and that's exactly what I did with my parents! We flew down to Cottage Grove and ate at the Village Inn restaurant, an area and place I'm well-acquainted with on this outing. But the biggest highlight for me personally has to be the fact that this flight was the first time I had my mother along as a passenger!

Flying my parents in N5174E!
After arriving at the hangar, I did my pre-flight before pulling the plane out of the hangar. We hopped in and I got the engine started before taxiing out to Runway 34. After doing run-ups, we got airborne and I flew us out of the Albany-area on the left-downwind. Because I had some "precious cargo" with me, I picked up VFR Flight Following from Cascade Approach. Other than that, it was a very routine and uneventful flight down to the hilly areas surrounding Cottage Grove. With the Cottage Grove area soon coming into view, I cancelled VFR Flight Following with Cascade Approach over Creswell and entered the right-downwind (because of terrain!) for Runway 33 and made a successful landing. After landing, I taxied over to the ramp area by the Oregon Aviation Historical Society museum and parked the plane. After post-flight and securing the plane, we walked a half-mile to the Vintage Inn restaurant and had an enjoyable, albeit longer-than-planned dinner.

My mother and I in Cottage Grove just after arriving with the last rays of light!
(Photo credit goes to my dad!)

After we were done with dinner, we walked back to the airport and got out of Cottage Grove; by then it was well-past sunset, which means I was logging night hours on this short cross-country leg! As usual, a quick but thorough pre-flight, engine-start, run-ups, and we were airborne off Runway 33 for a straight-out departure to the north. Once clear of the hills and with adequate altitude between us and the ground, I contacted Cascade Approach again and picked up VFR Flight Following. With ADS-B on my iPad and a clear night sky surrounding us, it was easy to keep an eye out for other traffic; in this case, the only traffic we saw were some regional airliner flights going into Eugene. After a quick hop, Albany came into view so I signed-off with Cascade Approach and made an uneventful straight-in landing on Runway 34.

Foregoing fuel, I taxied the plane straight back to the hangar and put the airplane away. After a quick post-flight, we drove home and called it a night. Outings like this are one of my favorite things to do in a General Aviation aircraft and I'm glad I got share this one with my parents!

No comments: