About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Pilot Life: An Instrument Flight Lesson Scrubbed...

Man! I am really disappointed and bummed about what went down today! After a long morning of dealing with family matters, I made my way down to Albany to get the airplane prepped and met with my Instrument Flight Instructor. However, once we got airborne and started making our way down to Corvallis, that's when we both realized that we would be unable to accomplish anything meaningful today.

A little disappointing day in N5174E today...

My instructor and I were planning to depart Albany via the obstacle departure procedure (ODP) and shoot some approaches into Corvallis and Albany. However, once airborne and en route to Corvallis using the VOR there, we realized that the Nav One CDI (synced from the Garmin GPS installed on the panel) was not working. We needed the localizer and glideslope needles to shoot ILS approaches, which we couldn't do! I suspect that the Nav One has somehow got disconnected from the GPS system since my uncle got this plane ADS-B compliant. So with no other alternative, it was best to return to Albany and try again at a later date after getting the issues sorted out. I landed the plane and taxied the plane back to the hangar. My instructor was even generous by not even charging me for the short time we were in the air together, which I really appreciated.

I stowed the plane back into the hangar and then gave my uncle a call to tell him what happened. My uncle told me he was going to get in touch with the avionics technician who worked on the plane because he told us to contact him if we had any further issues and we'll go from there; plus, the technician actually lives in Salem and was willing to come down to Albany on a day off should the need ever arise. This is a great example of how various players in the aviation community support each other! From the sound of it, it looks like my uncle's going to get the avionics technician to come down to the hangar in Albany to help us troubleshoot the problems I encountered today. I only hope we can get this fixed in an expeditious manner because I need to get some Instrument flying in and knock out a bunch of requirements!

No comments: