About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, September 3, 2018

Pilot Life: To Astoria and Back!

One airport my uncle and I've been trying to get into since we started flying together is the the Astoria Regional Airport in the northwest corner of Oregon. But every time we looked at the weather in the mornings, the weather was usually socked in IFR with low cloud cover; typical summer trend in Oregon! This morning however, changed all that and we were able to make it in on a little gamble; before we took off, weather in Astoria wasn't favorable, but it sounded like it was going to improve. And our hunch paid off, as the weather improved vastly when we arrived! My uncle and I continue to check off our list airports we want to visit!

Once again, my uncle and I teamed up and crewed N5174E.

I flew left seat under the hood with my uncle as my safety pilot (he also worked the radios given that the pilot-side coms were still broken!) on the way up to Astoria; I also shot the RNAV 26 approach along the way. We made a full-stop landing to stretch our legs and make a pit stop before we switched seats. My uncle took left seat and flew under the hood on the return-flight while I acted as his safety pilot and worked the radios.

Just getting airborne off Runway 26.

View of Highway 101 crossing Youngs Bay. Also in the background is the Astoria-Megler Bridge.

The mouth of the Columbia River emptying into the Pacific Ocean, looking towards Cape Disapointment.

View of Seaside as we made our southeast inland away from the coast.

It was an uneventful trip back down to Albany, where we enjoyed some tailwinds, making the trip much faster. After landing, we topped off the fuel tanks before putting the airplane away and called it a successful flight and a great way to spend a part of Labor Day!

No comments: