About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, September 10, 2018

Pilot Life: Ferry Flight to Aurora

In course of running a few flying-related errands, I found myself heading to Albany this afternoon. On the way down, my uncle called me and inquired what I was up to. In the end, he had me prepare his airplane so he could take members of his family as well as a family friend flying, which actually worked out because I had some business to attend to in Albany anyways. So I did the pre-flight for my uncle and handed the plane off to him and off he went while I went about my business around the airport before returning to the hangar, where I pulled out my lawn chair and watched planes takeoff and land! After a little while, he came back and sent his family home while he and I took care of the business of post-flight and refueling the plane.

After we got done refueling, we stuck around. My uncle has an appointment with an avionics shop up in Aurora, Oregon to get a new transponder (with a Stratus and ADS-B!) installed and make a few additional fixes tomorrow and was considering getting his plane up there today if possible so we wouldn't have to ferry it tomorrow; it would also be convenient for the avionics shop so they can get the plane in first things. After a few tries, my uncle managed to get through by phone with the avionics technician who would be looking after the plane and had no problem with us bringing the plane to Aurora today!

So right there and then, my uncle handed me the keys to his beloved Skyhawk and had me ferry the plane up to Aurora while he took my car and would meet me there!

Ferrying N5174E solo for the second time!

After doing a quick walk-around and checking fuel quality, I hopped in and got the engine started. Following a quick taxi followed by smooth run-ups, I got airborne and departed northbound. I transitioned through Salem's Class Delta airspace with approval from Salem Tower. After clearing Salem's Delta airspace, I tuned into Aurora State Airport's ATIS and got the latest weather information. I called up Aurora Tower prior to entering their Class Delta airspace and was instructed to enter and report right downwind for Runway 17.

Aurora was pretty busy for a small airport! I was asked to extend my downwind due to two other aircraft in the pattern, making me number three in the queue. I was then instructed to turn my base and got cleared for landing with no delay because a Douglas DC-3 was queuing up to land right behind me!

Specifically, THIS DC-3!

After making a smooth, uneventful landing I cleared the runway and taxied to parking at the base of the control tower near the avionics shop. After shutting the engine down and securing the airplane, my uncle drove up in my car. After finishing all the post-flight stuff, we headed over to the avionics shop and left them the keys to the airplane before driving back to Salem.

Pretty eventful afternoon to say the least! And it looks like my uncle picked a good week to take the airplane in because the weather is supposed to get lousy with rain showers throughout the week!

No comments: