About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Gallery Update: A Taste of the 1920s

I hope you're having a wonderful Labor Day weekend! I was presented with a unique opportunity today and of course I jumped at it! Every year, the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) conducts nationwide tours of their aircraft. This year, the EAA had a rare Ford Tri-Motor on tour and their tour stop this weekend happened to be up in Bountiful, Utah just north of Salt Lake, so I decided to make the drive up there and go see this 1920s-era aircraft for myself. And like any event like this, they were giving rides so I got to see this classic vintage fly! And better yet, it was at an airport that I've never even knew of! So in addition to the Ford Tri-Motor, I squeezed in some spotting at a new location: Bountiful-Skypark Airport. Here are the links:

Bountiful-Skypark (BTF) 1

EAA Ford Tri-Motor Tour

Preview:

Cessna 310K (N7021L) parked on the ramp.

Rockwell International Commander 112C (N1866J) parked on the ramp.

Face to face with the Ford 5-AT-B Tri-Motor.

Interior cabin view looking towards the cockpit.

Pretty fancy for 1920s standards!

View of the flightdeck. Check out those steering wheels!

Cabin view looking towards the back. And yes, that center door is a lavatory!

On the right, she's the City of Port Clinton.

And on the left, she's the City of Wichita.

Ford 5-AT-B Tri-Motor (NC9645). Aircraft is owned by the Liberty Aviation Museum out of Port Clinton, Ohio based at Erie-Ottawa International Airport. The Experimental Aircraft Association leases and operates the aircraft as part of the "Fly the Ford" tour.

Another angle of the Tri-Motor. Affectionately known as the "Tin Goose," only 199 airframes were built by the Stout Metal Airplane Division of the Ford Motor Company.

Another view of the "Tin Goose" with the passenger entry door open.

Painted in the livery of Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT), Inc., a predecessor to TWA. Note that the fuselage is all corrugated metal!

NC9645 on take-off roll on 34.

Just getting off the ground.

Off on a sight-seeing flight for some lucky passengers. It's always a privilege to see one of these old vintage planes still flying!

NC9645 landing on 34.

Hard to believe that this heap of corrugated metal is flyable!

Taxiing to parking.

Positioning into parking position prior to taking the next load of passengers up.

No comments: