About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Gallery Update: A "Mad Dog" and a Baby Boeing at Provo

It's been a while since I updated the gallery with anything; it's expected, now that I'm dedicated to spending time learning how to fly and getting classroom instruction on top of that. But it doesn't mean I'm not taking photos when opportunity permits or if something cool or unique is operating out of Provo. Here are some links to photos I've taken in the past few days:

Provo (PVU) 8

Provo (PVU) 9

As for today, I noticed Allegiant Air was operating an MD-80 out of Provo today so I opted to catch this one with my camera lens after so many Airbus sightings. Not only that, but a Boeing 737 was also scheduled to arrive in Provo today as well so I stuck around to catch it as well (crediting FlightAware.com for this one!). However, this wasn't just any regular 737; it was a privately-owned 737 configured as the Boeing Business Jet! Considering that I have never seen this type of 737 before, I just had to photograph it!  Here's one more link:

Provo (PVU) 10

Preview:

Allegiant Air McDonnell Douglas MD-83 (N417NV) rotating on departure from 13 as AAY345 for Los Angeles. Normally on Mondays, the Los Angeles flights arrive/depart mid-morning, but today it was extremely late and is usually operates with the Airbus A319 and rarely the MD-80. My guess is that this MD-80 was called in as an equipment substitution.

N417NV started its life as an MD-81 and first delivered as SE-DMD to Scandinavian Airlines - SAS in 1992 before being re-registered as LN-RON and converted into an MD-82 in 2005. The airframe was then withdrawn from commercial service in 2008 and the tail code returned to SE-DMD before going briefly back into service in 2009. In early 2010, the aircraft was ferried into to Jacksonville, Florida and converted for use by Allegiant Air; during its service life with Scandinavian Airlines, the airframe was equipped with two Pratt & Whitney JT8D-217C low-bypass turbofan engines. When converted for Allegiant Air, it was re-engined with the updated JT8D-219, adhering to MD-83 standards.

SOCATA TBM 850 (N850U) taxiing for departure.

Boeing 737-73Q (BBJ) Boeing Business Jet (N977JG) arriving on 13 from Salt Lake City. Any Boeing aircraft (the 737 model being the most common) privately owned and configured for VIP/luxury operations are designated as the Boeing Business Jet. If you've got several billion dollars you want to spend, this is the way to go!

My first time seeing a BBJ! The -3Q customer code indicates that this airframe was first delivered to Boeing under the ownership of the Boeing Capital Corporation (BCC) Equipment Leasing in 2000, registered as N349BA before transitioning to CIT Leasing Corporation in 2006. The aircraft was the re-registered as N377CJ in 2011 and went to Premiair operating for Czar Aviation, Ltd. in Indonesia. Then just a little over a year ago, the airframe was returned to the United States and re-registered to its current tail number under private ownership. 

N977JG taxiing to the TAC Air FBO ramp. Having just moved from the Pacific Northwest, it's kind of sad that the first Boeing Business Jet I see happens to be in Provo, considering that Boeing builds these things all the time up in Seattle, yet I never saw one while there!

No comments: