About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Gallery Update: TWO Metroliners in Salem!

"This virus can f**k right off." -Mikey McBryan

Unfortunately for me, the ongoing COVID-19 crisis has dealt several death-blows to all of my upcoming plans for 2020 in terms of air shows and aviation events. First, the 2020 Sentry Eagle Open House which was slated to be held in Klamath Falls, Oregon in mid-July was cancelled back in May. Earlier this month, the 2020 Wings Over the Willamette Fly-In, Van's Homecoming and STOL Expo which was supposed to happen mid-August a short hop away over in Independence, Oregon cancelled. Last weekend, the organizers for the AirShow of the Cascades that was to be held in Madras, Oregon towards the tail-end of August announced their cancellation. And then as of yesterday, both the Reno Air Races and the Oregon International Air Show for this year have also been cancelled. The only event left that I can potentially look forward to in August is the 2020 Warbirds Over the West right here in Salem (assuming it does go forward).

Needless to say, the year 2020 has quickly become the year we want to forget. And I am certainly not thrilled about how the year has panned out...

Part of the fun about some of these cancelled events is that I had plans to fly myself out to the airports where said events were to be hosted. While I await word on the one last remaining aviation event that hasn't been cancelled (yet!), I am now looking forward to a year without an air show season. So in addition to focusing on my ongoing flight training, I do intend to explore the Pacific Northwest and parts of the west coast a little more for the remainder of the year (and especially this summer) by flying to airports I've never been to before and photographing what I can. All of this will be in lieu of an actual air show season.

As for today, the Valley Flyers was holding their annual June barbecue today and it was good time mingling, doing some "hangar flying," and networking as pilots. We also had some interesting things on the General Aviation ramp, including not one, but TWO Metroliners operated by Sierra West Airlines! As it turns out, both Metroliners brought dogs being transferred from one animal shelter to another. While I've photographed the two Metroliners on two separate occasions last year, it was worth getting a shot of both of them on the ramp as it's a rare and unusual sight, especially here in Salem.

Salem (SLE) 49

Preview:

Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer (N3563A) parked on the ramp.

Here's a rare sight: TWO Metroliners parked on the ramp in Salem at the same time! Both flew in from Twin Falls bringing a load of dogs getting transferred from one animal shelter to another. Even though I've photographed both airframes last year, it was worth getting shots like this!

Pak West Airlines (d/b/a Sierra West Airlines) Fairchild SA-227BC Metro III (N770TR) parked on the ramp. Arrived from Twin Falls as PKW855.

Pak West Airlines (d/b/a Sierra West Airlines) Fairchild SA227-DC Metro 23 (N852DR) parked on the ramp. Arrived from Twin Falls as PKW830

Piper PA-23-180 Apache/Seguin Geronimo (N164YF) parked on the ramp.

Cessna 180 Skywagon (N180MJ) parked on the ramp. Arrived from Reno/Stead.

Van's RV-10 (N104N) parked on the ramp.

No comments: