About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Pilot Life: Local Solo Flight in the Cherokee

I did a local flight out of Salem today, and this time, I got to do it in the Valley Flyers club's Piper Cherokee; after making some inquiries with some of the higher-ups, I was given approval with a club checkout by them without having to do another checkout flight (which is the usual procedure) given that I already have over 40 hours logged in the type and I demonstrated competence during my initial club checkout in one of the Skyhawks, a privilege I certainly don't take lightly! The purpose of today's flight was to go out and practice some basic attitude instrument flying (standard rate/timed turns), staying at altitude, and working on my instrument scan, all things that I've been struggling on in my recent flights with my instructor. Plus, I haven't been done a solo flight in a Piper Cherokee since my days in Utah, so I figured I could use the flight club's plane to help me practice and "rehearse" so to speak in preparation for getting back into the Albany-based Cherokee.

Valley Flyers Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser (N1636H), the third Cherokee airframe to add my logbook. This Cherokee is the flight club's only non-Cessna aircraft in their fleet.

After taking a second to figure out which hangar the Cherokee was housed in, I went straight to work and got the pre-flight done before pulling the plane out of the hangar. I hopped in, got the engine started, got my taxi clearance after getting the ATIS information, and taxied the Cherokee out to the run-up pad. After a successful run-up on the engine, I got my takeoff clearance from the tower and got airborne with and departed to the south on the left downwind. I leveled off at 2,500 feet and headed to an area just east of Albany to practice the maneuvers I wanted to do. I mainly practiced timed turns, compass turns, as well as standard rate turns all while maintaining altitude; I also took the time to get a feel for this particular Cherokee.

Satisfied, I proceeded towards Albany Airport to practice some landings. Approaching from the east, I crossed over at midfield and made a direct pattern entry, left-traffic for Runway 34. From there it was like any other day of flying, as I executed two smooth touch-and-go landings, followed by a full-stop on the third landing I did. I rolled off at the end of the runway and taxied back to Runway 34, where I made a straight-out departure northwards back to Salem. After getting the ATIS information, I called up tower and requested a straight-in approach for Runway 34 there. Once again, winds were variable and they offered me Runway 31 when I was about four miles out; I accepted my new landing clearance for Runway 31 and made an uneventful landing.

I taxied off and got my ground clearance to go to the fuel pumps, where I topped off the tanks to tabs. After I got done refueling, I put the plane back in the hangar. Hopefully this flight will help me overcome the struggles I've been having recently. It was also nice to fly solo in a Cherokee for the first time in a year!

No comments: