About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Friday, August 9, 2019

Gallery Update: Albany's New Gate Guard!

Airports all over the United States should have something like this! This week, I noticed that Albany Municipal Airport finally has a new "gate guard" display at the entrance, a restoration project that has been many years in the making! I figured I should take a few photos after I finished my flight lesson this morning. That aircraft is a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, one that I have seen previously every time I frequented Albany as it has been seen sitting on the airport ramp for what seems like forever.

Albany (S12) 18

Preview:

United States Navy Douglas A4D-5 A-4E Skyhawk (152012) on display. On the right side, the aircraft displays markings of VA-164 "Ghostriders" of the Navy. Originally assigned to VF-43 "Challengers" of the United States Navy as an adversary aircraft for dissimilar air combat training.

Face-to-face with the "scooter!" This restoration project was one of three Skyhawks that were trucked up to Albany from the boneyard. The original plan was to prominently display all three A-4s together as "gate guards" but this one took a lot longer (and costed more) than expected, and the other two Skyhawk frames are apparently in too poor of shape to really restore.

On the left side, the A-4E displays markings of VMA-331 "Bumblebees" of the Marine Corps. The display looks great, if I do say so myself!

No comments: