About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Gallery Update: Chasing a Global 5000 in Salem

I really should chase large, long-range business jets more often! Today, I decided to go after a member of the Bombardier Global Express family flying into Salem during the afternoon hours, a Global 5000. I figured this was worth chasing down because it's something that doesn't come into Salem often and I don't think I've photographed this particular model before (even though I have seen a Global Express XRS a few years back). Plus, I don't think I give enough attention to corporate aviation!

Salem (SLE) 28

Preview:

Empire Airlines (d/b/a FedEx Feeder) Cessna 208B Super Cargomaster (N711FX) taxiing for departure as CFS7686 for Portland following a stopover from North Bend/Coos Bay. This cargo feeder started the day departing Portland for North Bend/Coos Bay as CFS8670.

CFS7686 departing on 34 for Portland.

Bombardier BD-700-1A11 Global 5000 (N50MG) arriving on 31 from Columbus-John Glenn. Owned by the Marysville, Ohio-based multinational corporation, The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company.

N50MG taxiing to the ramp. The Global 5000 is the first-generation base-model of the Global Express family. Being the first of its kind, the Global 5000 is naturally the smallest of the family and has the shortest range, powered by a pair of BMW-Rolls-Royce BR710 turbofan jet engines. The Global 6000 is an updated version of the 5000 modified to fulfill military missions. The longer range Global 5500/6500 are powered by new Rolls-Royce Pearl engines with lower fuel burn while the even larger, stretched Global 7500/8000 have longer range capability.

Face-to-face with one of the largest business jets currently built by Bombardier. The aircraft type shares the fuselage cross section with the CRJ family and Challenger 600 series with the only distinguishable changes being a new wing and tail design.

You have to get close to get an idea how large the Global 5000 really is! And considering that I never got to photograph any of the SkyWest CRJs that flew into Salem when there was airline service here over a decade ago, I suppose this is as close to it that I'm going to get!

N50MG getting marshaled onto the transient parking spots due to limited space in front of the FBO!

No comments: