About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Friday, October 6, 2017

Pilot Life: Back on the Saddle

After yesterday's flight got cut short, I found an opening for a late-morning/early-afternoon flight and I took it. And better yet, I got to fly in my preferred DA-20 Katana! I definitely wanted to end this week's flying on a good note so I felt it was important to get back on the horse after experiencing yesterday's disconcerting mishap that I had with a runaway trim control.

Back flying on N802CT!

I briefly met with my flight instructor; he was informed about my little runaway trim misadventure that I had yesterday. Afterwards, I headed out to the airplane and got the pre-flight done. I started up the engine, performed run-ups, and got in the air. Since weather was great and I was out for redemption after yesterday's little scare, I decided (with encouragement from my flight instructor!) to leave the pattern and practice up on the maneuvers I've been learning.

I initially stayed low after leaving the pattern and I headed towards Payson so I could do some ground reference maneuvers. Using the Payson LDS Temple as my point, I did some turns around a point and made several laps there. Afterwards, I sought out a straight stretch of road and performed S-turns across them. Once I was done with ground reference maneuvers, I climbed in altitude and decided to do some steep turns and I did several of them to practice.

After doing several steep turns, I headed back to the Spanish Fork pattern and did several touch-and-goes and stop-and-goes to practice my short-field and soft-field takeoffs and landings. After logging four landings total during this flight, I called it quits and returned the plane to the ramp. One thing's for sure, I love having all these opportunities to go out fly solo!

No comments: