About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Pilot Life: Landing Practice

I'm going to change how I write about my experiences in flight training. In order to save time, I'm going to condense many of the repetitive aspects of flying and emphasize a lot more on the highlights and personal thoughts of each flight I do. Major highlights, milestones, and lessons learned will be denoted where needed.

So another area I needed to knock some rust off and get back into proficiency was my landings. And I haven't gotten any opportunities to do some extensive circuits around the pattern to really practice my landings since getting back into flying here at Provo so that's what we did today. In total, I got in six landings plus a go-around during today's flight in the Provo Airport pattern. Today's flight got pushed back by a half hour so I was flying a little later than my new assigned time but it was fine since we didn't have to spend time flying out to a practice area. After getting dispatched out, I headed out to the airplane and I did the routine pre-flight checks.

N957CT, "Wolf 05," the Katana my instructor and I took up for some circuits around the pattern today.

After my flight instructor joined me, we hopped in the airplane and went through the appropriate checklists and started the engine. After checking brakes and steering, I contacted the ground controller and picked up our taxi clearance. We taxied out to the run-up area and did the routine run-up procedures. Once it was determined that all systems were green, we continued our taxi to the runway. After we got takeoff clearance, we were on our way.

On each lap, my instructor had me do various things such as short-field and soft-field techniques, slips, and so on. He also had to help remind me proper technique. The fact that I've been out of the cockpit for so long really showed and I walked away from this flight feeling a bit discouraged because I thought I should've been back up to speed at this point. I'm burning away flight time (which I already paid for!) trying to get re-current and I really want to move forward from all this pent-up frustration.

I can only hope that I'll eventually improve...

No comments: